Does anyone else love James Harriot Books?

29 Jan 2011 09:17 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Does anyone else love James Harriot Books? was created by CinnamonGirl
I love misses Pumphrey and the wonderful stories of James Harriot.

Just curious if our vets read these books as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jan 2011 09:46 #2 by pacamom
I have and love them all. One is even signed by Doc Wight himself.

29 Jan 2011 10:16 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Does anyone else love James Harriot Books?
Wow, that is way cool. Some were so sad but the personal stories about the personalities are just the best.

29 Jan 2011 18:59 #4 by major bean
We have read all of Harriot's books and really enjoyed the series on the BBC back in the mid 70's. Absolutely wonderful stories told well.

Regards,
Major Bean

30 Jan 2011 15:55 #5 by ShilohLady
Read and loved most of them but it's been a while. :thumbsup:

31 Jan 2011 09:21 #6 by Shannon Harland-DVM
You know I did read them as a kid and loved them, though I can't say they are what influenced me to become a vet like other people have said.
Maybe I should re-read them again, I think I may have a slight different take on some of his situations now since I know what it can be like!

18 Feb 2011 07:32 #7 by CinnamonGirl
That brings up an interesting question. What did influence you to become a vet?

22 Feb 2011 16:48 #8 by Shannon Harland-DVM
Hi, sorry it has taken me awhile to respond to this thread. I kind of wish I could say I had a life-altering veterinary experience when I was younger and that inspired me to become a vet, but not so. I did grow up with a lot of animals as a kid, mostly dogs, cats, chickens, rats and horses. I probably spent the majority of my free time riding until I went to college, and even then rode during the entire summer. My mom has worked at a small animal clinic for years so I used to hang out there and even managed to score a few summer jobs out of the connection. But I would have to say my main inspiration was through volunteering at the UC Davis veterinary hospital while I was an undergraduate. I didn't choose to go to UC Davis for college because there was an affiliated vet school, it just worked out that way I guess, but being affiliated there were many volunteer and job opportunities. I spent a great deal of time at the veterinary school and as a consequence found out I really enjoyed the profession.
So there it is for what it is worth.
Shannon

22 Feb 2011 21:30 #9 by CinnamonGirl

Shannon Harland-DVM wrote: Hi, sorry it has taken me awhile to respond to this thread. I kind of wish I could say I had a life-altering veterinary experience when I was younger and that inspired me to become a vet, but not so. I did grow up with a lot of animals as a kid, mostly dogs, cats, chickens, rats and horses. I probably spent the majority of my free time riding until I went to college, and even then rode during the entire summer. My mom has worked at a small animal clinic for years so I used to hang out there and even managed to score a few summer jobs out of the connection. But I would have to say my main inspiration was through volunteering at the UC Davis veterinary hospital while I was an undergraduate. I didn't choose to go to UC Davis for college because there was an affiliated vet school, it just worked out that way I guess, but being affiliated there were many volunteer and job opportunities. I spent a great deal of time at the veterinary school and as a consequence found out I really enjoyed the profession.
So there it is for what it is worth.
Shannon

Thank you, that was very interesting. :)

23 Feb 2011 07:39 #10 by Nobody that matters
I read all of them when I was young. I had expressed an interest in becoming a Vet, and they were a gift from my Grandmother. I love those books. They are the only non-science fiction/fantasy books that have ever interested me.

Patrially because of those stories, I volunteered my time at a vet clinic when I was in my teens... Walking dogs, cleaning cages, consolling injured animals during treatment, washing down exam rooms. I did it for about a year.

I wish I could say it inspired me to become a vet, but it did the opposite. Seeing only animals that were suffering, only to have them dissappear when they got better took a really nasty emotional toll on me. I was glad that I went through it - I apparently don't have what it takes.

I still love the books, and I definitely respect those that can work in the medical field and not get their own guts ripped out emotionally. My hat's off to you for all you do.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds