Chiropractic for horses

20 Feb 2011 21:11 #1 by Shannon Harland-DVM
I have recently finished an intensive 5 month course and become certified in animal chiropractic so I thought it would be a good chance to mention how chiropractic care can benefit horses. Animal chiropractic has been around for years, but it seems to have grown increasingly popular over the past 15 years along with a general interest in complementary or holistic care.

Chiropractic is part of “integrated medicine” which is the practice of combining conventional medicine with complementary and alternative approaches in an effort to create a comprehensive treatment plan. The word chiropractic originated from the Greek words cheir, meaning “hand,” and praktike, which means “to practice.” The purpose of chiropractic is to optimize health and emphasizes the inherent recuperative power of the body to heal itself without the use of drugs or surgery.

It may seem counterintuitive that a person can adjust an animal as large as a horse. During a chiropractic exam the horse’s gait, posture, muscles and spine are analyzed. Each vertebra is palpated and moved within its normal range of motion. Each vertebra only moves a few millimeters but this movement adds up over the entire length of the spine to allow for full range of motion. When a subtle change in the alignment or decreased movement of a vertebra is found (called a vertebral subluxation complex or VSC) an adjustment is performed. An adjustment is very specific, low amplitude, high velocity thrust at a specific joint. It is not aggressive, nor does it require excessive force. Since the vertebra house some important structures, even a small amount of restricted motion can affect the nerves that exit the spine in that area, which in turn affects the nervous system.

People often ask how they know if their horse needs a chiropractic exam. Signs can vary, but may include resistance to the bit, difficulty flexing or collecting, changes in gait, “cinchiness”, changes in behavior, muscle spasms or atrophy. Now often there can be an underlying cause for these signs such as a lameness, poor saddle fit, dental problems, that needs to be addressed. In those cases chiropractic can help, but the underlying cause needs to be taken care of first.

Whether or not a person chooses to use chiropractic seems to be a bit of a personal decision. Some people really believe in it, some have had no exposure, some are skeptical, and some don’t believe it works at all. If you are interested in chiropractic, or know someone who is, there are a few things you should look for in the professionals who offer their services. The professional has to either be a veterinarian or a doctor of chiropractic (DC). Chiropractic is not taught in veterinary school, so most veterinarians have no experience or formal training in it so you should seek out a veterinarian who has had specific training or request a referral to a DC who is certified in treating animals. If a person is neither I would be hesitant to use them as at best they may be ineffective, and at worst injure the horse or not recognize a problem that needs to be seen by a vet.
Finding a good chiropractor is not difficult, you can talk to your vet, friends or look on the International Veterinary Chiropractic Association (IVCA) and American Veterinary Chiropractic Association (AVCA) websites. If you have any other questions, I am happy to answer them.
Dr. Shannon Harland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds