Refinishing: Give Ugly Guns a Second Chance - Green Mnt Guns

23 Mar 2011 17:06 #1 by Green Mountain Guns
Professional refinishing can bring new life to a worn pistol.
By B. Gil Horman

One way or another, those of us who are devoted to shooting will eventually end up with at least one ugly handgun. Whether inherited, purchased or received as gifts, these ugly pistols lurk around the edges of gun collections, ruining the view. But, before we proceed, I need to make some important distinctions.

Old handguns are not the same as ugly handguns. Old guns are those with the designation of antique, collector’s item or items of historical value. Their dings and scratches are badges of honor. The patina of their finish and their well-rubbed grips show their age, and often their value. Firearms like these deserve to be treasured and preserved in as near to the original state as possible. Usually it’s not too difficult to find out an old handgun’s value and take the steps to preserve it. This story is not about old handguns; it’s about ugly ones.

Some semi-autos and revolvers leave the factory in a pug-ugly state. Others were once beautiful specimens that had the pretty knocked out of them by previous owners. It would be nice if every shooting iron lived up to its potential, but many don't. One of my favorite things to do is visit the little gun shops tucked away around town that seem to have a gift for attracting unusual used firearms. In these little shops, mixed in amongst the other used guns, down in the depths of the gun cases, there lie hidden treasures.

Read more at: http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... n=UglyGuns

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds