Your Deck-A Little Maintenance=A Lot of Enjoyment

17 Jun 2010 19:50 - 12 Apr 2018 16:33 #1 by GregLellPainting
Your Deck-A Little Maintenance=A Lot of Enjoyment

With summer here, one of life's simple pleasures is drinks or dinner on our deck. With a little maintanence, our deck will be a source of enjoyment for years to come. Here's some tips to help you keep your deck looking good and lasting long.

Moisture
Moisture from snow and rain causes expansion and contraction of wood resulting in loose nails and warping, cracking or splitting of boards.
Prevent moisture damage by sweeping your deck regularly, clearing away puddles and any dirt and leaves that retain moisture and don't dry out easily. In winter, its especially important to include your deck in your snow shoveling routine.

Sun
With Colorado's abundance of sunshine, you'll want to sand the surface to expose the fresh wood below and then keep your deck covered with a good coat of sealant or stain.

Cleaning
When preparing your deck for its summer debut, you'll want to get the surface very clean before applying a sealant or stain product. Depending on the situation, a deck cleaner or brightener may be needed. You can use a garden hose, but power washing is the best method for quick and detailed cleaning. Unless you have experience using a power washer, you may want to leave that to the professionals. Improper power washing can cause splintering of wood, stripping of the surface or uneven streaking.

Finishing
After washing, let the deck boards dry out for a few days in our warm Colorado sunshine. With our dry climate it won't take long to get a nice moisture-free surface to insure proper adherence of your finish coat. There are several finishing products on the market and your selection will depend on the particulars of your deck.

You've done the work, now get out there and enjoy!

******$50 off deck power washing with mention of 285Bound.com and this article!******

Greg Lell got his start in the painting business as a teenager working for his older brothers' painting company. Under their guidance, Greg learned the the importance of proper surface preparation and attention to detail and customer care. Some forty years later, those same principals are put into daily use by providing top-quality services to his customers. Greg's knowledge and experience is reflected in every project. With his expertise in product knowledge, Greg guides his clients in choosing the proper products for the job whether it be paint, stain, laquer or other material.

Greg and his wife, Patti, share their Conifer home with two horses, Sparky & Mica, two shelties, Lacy & Breezy and one young black lab, Gracie.

Greg
Greg Lell Painting, Inc.
www.greglellpainting.com
(720) 273-8064

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jun 2010 18:40 #2 by LopingAlong
Hi, after power-washing and letting dry for a few days, is sweeping any debris off of the deck sufficient even if it's still a little dusty? And when applying the protectant coating, what method of application do you recommend and/or use?
Thank you very much for the info!

23 Jun 2010 12:07 #3 by GregLellPainting
Great questions.
After power-washing, let your deck dry overnight and it should be ready for application of the product. You won't want too much time to pass before applying the product so that dust doesn't accumulate. If using a semi-transparent stain (recommended), a little dust won't be a problem. If you need to sweep, that's fine. If it's been too long and too dusty (watch out for all that pollen we get up here), you'll have to wash off the deck again.

You can apply the product by spraying or using a brush and roller. This will be based on your preference. If you spray, you may need to mask off areas that could get overspray. When using a brush and roller, you can get into all the crevices.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Keeping your deck in tip top condition gets easier every time you do it.

Greg
Greg Lell Painting, Inc.
www.greglellpainting.com
(720) 273-8064

23 Jun 2010 12:18 #4 by JMC
My deck rails have shrunk and now are loose. Do I need to replace them or is there a fix?

14 Jul 2010 11:55 #5 by GregLellPainting
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news . . . Once the wood on your deck has shrunk and become uneven, it's time to replace them. Wish I had a cheaper fix for you. This is exactly why it's important to keep your deck in tip top shape. The cost of powerwashing and applying a protectant pales in comparison to the cost of replacing the decking or rails. Even when you replace the wood, you'll need to apply a protective product so that you don't have to go through this again.

Greg
Greg Lell Painting, Inc.
www.greglellpainting.com
(720) 273-8064

14 Jul 2010 14:53 #6 by JMC
Figured, thanks ,do you this type of work?

02 Aug 2010 19:38 #7 by GregLellPainting
Sorry, I don't do the carpentry work, but once you've got that done, give me a call and I can put a really nice finish on your deck.

Greg
Greg Lell Painting, Inc.
www.greglellpainting.com
(720) 273-8064

31 Aug 2010 16:09 #8 by CC
Greg, I just gave your number to a lady who is looking for someone to do vinyl wallpaper in 6 Village In Restaurants.

31 Aug 2010 18:53 #9 by GregLellPainting
Thanks, Becky. I remove wallpaper to paint the walls, but I don't install it.

Greg
Greg Lell Painting, Inc.
www.greglellpainting.com
(720) 273-8064

31 Aug 2010 19:02 #10 by CC
Hopefully you can direct her to someone who does.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds