Can We Be Trained to Like Healthy Foods?

13 Jul 2011 11:28 #1 by ScienceChic
I'm always amazed at the number of parents I talk to who tell me that their kids won't eat vegetables, or hate many fruits. Disliking certain foods is completely understandable, and definitely all kids go through phases in which they refuse to eat that which they did before, or want only the same food over and over again. But to dislike an entire type of food? It makes me wonder if the kids pick up on cues from what their parents don't eat, or they don't get enough positive exposure early in life to healthy foods. I started introducing my kids to a variety of ethnic foods and fruits and vegetables before they even had a choice to refuse! tongue: I'm thankful that today my 8 year old and almost 4 year old are not picky at all (well, my 4 year old eats like a bird, but that's another story) - they love nearly all food put in front of them, and request Indian, Japanese, Thai, and Greek foods often.

Now, it seems there is additional data supporting the benefits of starting with a healthy diet in infancy. If you can find the time, making your own baby food is not only a money saver, but it's lower in sodium and sugar too which helps set your child's food preferences and even basal metabolism rate for the rest of their life!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... A_facebook
Can We Be Trained to Like Healthy Foods?
Favorite flavors might be programmed in infancy, leading to new research investigating how to rewire our bad dietary habits
By Brian Mossop | July 13, 2011

Our diets are unhealthy, that much is clear. Now, an increasing number of scientists and physicians wonder if our propensity for unhealthy, obesity-inducing eating might be tied to the food choices made during our first weeks and months of life. Indeed, the latest research indicates that what we learn to like as infants paves the way for what we eat as adults. If true, we might be able to tackle the obesity epidemic in a new and more promising way, one that starts with the very first spoonful.

Today, unfortunately, most of those early lovin' spoonfuls contain more sugar and salt than is nutritionally wise. A recent study in the Journal of Public Health found that 53 percent of processed baby and toddler foods lining supermarket shelves (at least in Canada) have an excessive number of calories from simple sugars, and 12 percent of them have too much sodium. The authors, noting how overindulgence on both of these nutrients is tied to cardiovascular disease and diabetes, suggest that early exposure to overly sweet or salty meals could promote a taste for these unhealthy ingredients in the future.

Rather than focus on limiting the unhealthful aspects of diet, Gary Beauchamp, a biopsychologist and a leading expert on chemosensory science, prefers to study the promotion of good-for-you foods. Based on data he has collected in the past 40 years, Beauchamp thinks ''that complex multisensory flavor profiles—even more so than individual tastes such as sweet or bitter—are influenced by our experiences during the first few months of life." And if parents introduce healthful tastes and flavors, such as carrots or broccoli, early on, an infant will not only rapidly adapt, but will also develop a preference for these flavors that could persist for a lifetime.

To be clear, there is a marked difference between tastes and flavors. Tastes are one-dimensional, whereas flavors are multimodal. The five basic tastes (sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami) activate specific receptors—the taste buds—of the sensory system, which map directly to cranial nerves. Flavors, on the other hand, arise when information from both the mouth and the nose is combined, and it can be difficult to tease out the contribution of the smells from the assortment of tastes that describe the essence of a flavor.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2011 13:32 #2 by Blazer Bob
You say can we, I say should we.

The ancients may have known something.

http://www.frigginrandom.com/chinese-do ... ing-myths/

Chinese doctor dispels eating myths
by zizzerz on October 26, 2009 · View Comments

Q: Doctor, I’ve heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it… Don ‘t waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speed up heart not make live longer; that like say you can extend life of car by driving faster. Want live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does cow eat? Hay and corn. What are these? Vegetables. So, steak nothing more than efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef also good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And pork chop can give 100% recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine. That means they take water out of fruity bit; get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: If you have body and you have fat, ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Cannot think of single one, sorry. My philosophy: No Pain…Good!

Q: Aren’t fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING!!! …. Foods fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only do sit-ups if want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy? HELLO …. Cocoa beans! Vegetable!!! Cocoa beans best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! ‘Round’ is shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

13 Jul 2011 13:49 #3 by ScienceChic
I hope that was tongue-in-cheek neptune - it was hilarious! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds