Kids' Sleep Disorders Perplex Most Doctors, Study Finds

29 Aug 2011 06:37 #1 by ScienceChic
Sleeping problems run in my family, so this article hit home for me. Making sure our kids get enough sleep is vitally important.

http://www.livescience.com/15790-kids-s ... finds.html
Kids' Sleep Disorders Perplex Most Doctors, Study Finds
Stephanie Pappas
29 August 2011

American pediatricians want to help their patients with sleep problems, but a new study finds that few have the proper knowledge and training to do so.

Although adult sleep disorders are more well known, children experience sleep problems, too. Studies estimate that between 10 percent and 33 percent of children and 40 percent of adolescents experience sleep problems including trouble sleeping, snoring and sleep apnea, a condition that causes people to stop breathing briefly while asleep. About 1 percent to 3 percent of youth have sleep apnea, while as many as 27 percent of children and teens snore.

Why sleep matters
Those low scores and the lack of formal training is a problem, Reddy said, pointing out that sleep problems in children are linked to obesity, asthma and even greater risk-taking in teens.

5 Things You Must Know About Sleep

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds