Teaching Children to be Original and Creative

08 Oct 2011 17:21 #1 by ScienceChic
I believe it's very important to let children's minds wander and express their creativity/imagination. It not only fosters unique art, but independent thinking, unconventional problem-solving skills, and improved self-esteem. As a kid, my creativity was expressed in my "Science Lab" that my brother and I ran - we had all kinds of pots and pans for concocting stuff, "chemicals" galore, and it was right next to the creek for easy access to water for experiments, and to put out imaginary fires that we'd accidentally start blowing stuff up! lol Our parents were very supportive of us by supplying old bottles, kitchenware, etc. - it was the coolest science lab!

What do you remember doing that was different/unusual that you may have been praised, or criticized, for?

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/08/141057271 ... c=fb&cc=fp
The 'Blue Horse' That Inspired A Children's Book
by NPR Staff
October 8, 2011
Listen To The Story Here

Carle has a new children's book about an artist who — like the author — enjoys stepping out of the box. It's called The Artist Who Painted A Blue Horse . The child in the book paints a number of animals with unconventional colors. The book opens with the child declaring, "I am an artist,"

The colorful animals were inspired by Carle's childhood. Born to German immigrant parents in Syracuse, N.Y., Carle and his family returned to Germany — Nazi Germany — when he was 6. "Hitler dictated not only politics," Carle tells Weekend Edition Saturday host Scott Simon, "he also dictated art."

Modern, expressionistic and abstract art was banned, but a high school teacher invited Carle to his home to see the work of "degenerate" artists. Then, Carle says, the teacher said something courageous — or crazy. "He said, 'The Nazis, they are charlatans. They haven't an idea what art is,' " Carle recalls. "I was shocked at the art, and I was shocked at him."

Carle hopes blue horses show his young readers that in art, there is no wrong color. "One must not stay within the lines," he says. The point is to just enjoy color — but also to be surprised.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds