Teaching Children About Making Charitable Donations

25 Nov 2011 12:08 #1 by ScienceChic

http://danisfoundation.org/2011/11/24/t ... donations/
Teaching Children About Making Charitable Donations
Posted on Nov 24th, 2011

We all want to teach our children the value of giving, from asking them to share their toys with other kids to helping a lost animal find its way home. But have you thought of teaching your children about contributing to charities? They’re never too young to start learning the value of donating to a cause. Here are some ways in which you can teach children about making charitable donations.

From http://www.charitiesblog.net/charities/ ... donations/
Written by Merve on October 25, 2011

FOOTNOTE: Dani’s Foundation has begun a program for 2012 entitled Kids Helping Kids. We are asking school groups to become involved with our Foundation and help us in our effort to raise awareness and funding for the Campaign to End Pediatric Sarcoma. If you would like more information on this youth philanthropic program, email to . . Any and all support would be GREATLY appreciated!

About Dani's Foundation
(It's one of the charities that I support every year after one of my nephews was diagnosed with cancer at age 19.)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Nov 2011 12:12 #2 by chickaree
We started our kids young with the idea of buying a birthday present for baby Jesus on Christmas. We'd match their contribtion. They often bought chicks from the Heifer Project. It quickly became a habit to think of sharing their good fortune.

25 Nov 2011 12:26 #3 by ScienceChic
That's awesome! My son regularly hands me old toys and asks me to put it in the box we have for items to be donated to Goodwill/Salvation Army/IMHS/etc and requests that they be given to kids that aren't as lucky as he is to have so many toys. When he and his sister get a little older, we'll have them not just give, but participate as well!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

25 Nov 2011 13:19 #4 by ShilohLady
From a very young age, our kids have seen up dropping donations into the Salvation Army kettles and we always explained it as helping some kids that wouldn't have a good Christmas without it. When my daughter was about 5, as she and her dad got out of the car at the mall, she asked for her allowance (probably a whole 10 or 25 cents) ... she then took that allowance and placed it in the kettle :)

As they got older, we always took an angel from the giving tree for each member of the family, trying to match age and gender for the kids and had them help in choosing and wrapping the present to return.

There are many ways, big and small, to encourage giving at ALL ages!

25 Nov 2011 15:27 #5 by chickaree
Kids have a natural generosity of spirit that is inspiring.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds