Conifer Public Library looking for Teen Program ideas

26 Feb 2012 14:42 #1 by ConiferPublicLibrary
Hi,
I'm Brian and I'm the new Public Library Supervisor. One thing I've been discussing with staff and the public is the possibility of afterschool programming for high school and middle school teens. While I will need to look into what I can and cannot do, I would first like to have a list of ideas from which to work.
Please give me some ideas on what teens in the area would like to see in the early afternoons at the library. Programs on anime/manga? board games? writing clubs? book clubs? graphic novel clubs? Drawing/Art programs? Are there ideas that you have seen at other libraries that you wish would happen here? Is there a particluar hobby or craft you would like to know more about?

I need a starting place, so for right now any ideas are valid. ;] Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian Mosbey
Conifer Public Library Supervisor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Feb 2012 09:14 #2 by ScienceChic
Welcome Mr. Mosbey! Thank you for sharing your information with us. I was glad to hear that the Conifer Library was staying open, and didn't realize everything that was offered until listening to your presentation at the Conifer Town Hall Meeting so I look forward to learning more!

I know when I was a teenager, I would've loved a book club. Even if it were comic books thrown in as well, because even they can be analyzed for themes of man vs nature, man vs man, symbolism, how setting affects a story, etc. Games are always a nice diversion - what about incorporating popular smart phone games that can be done among a group, like Words with Friends?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Feb 2012 13:19 #3 by ConiferPublicLibrary
Excellent ideas! I'm going to start a running list of ideas and work on these as the weeks go by. There is a lot of great literature and graphic novels out there to share in groups.

I hadn't thought of the smart phone games. Another good idea

Thanks

Brian

13 Mar 2012 13:04 #4 by ScienceChic
This sounds like a good idea for the Conifer Library, if it isn't already doing this!

Of the teens and by the teens
Teen blogs keep young adults engaged with the Jeffco Library
By Laura Herrington Watson
Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Jeffco Public Library is relying on a logical approach to help young people stay engaged with books and other library offerings: Teens trust teens.
The portion of the library’s website that features teen-targeted and teen-authored blogs experienced a 50 percent increase in traffic from 2010 to the end of 2011, teen services librarians say.

The Jeffco Library also has a Teen Advisory Board that acts as a marketing sample group and sounding board for future events and library products geared to teens. Each Jeffco library branch also offers a “teen space” with magazines and computers reserved for teenage patrons.

Upcoming events at Jeffco libraries include an elaborate “Hunger Games” event on March 16 in celebration of the book “The Hunger Games” and in anticipation of the movie release.
To find the teen blogs, visit http://engagedpatrons.org/Blogs .

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Mar 2012 17:52 #5 by ConiferPublicLibrary
unfortunately right now we do not have a Teen Advisory Board as we do not have a dedicated staff member for teens. I keep in touch with the teen librarians in the JCPL system to help bring programs and promote teen interests. As the months pass I hope to make the teen program stronger at Conifer Punlic Library. I am looking for ways now to bring more programming, gain more involvement, and more ideas on what may interest teens at the library.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds