School Safety: To Plan, or Not to Plan.........

09 Jan 2013 10:05 #11 by ZHawke
Would it be accurate to state: Many people push for taking personal responsibility in so many areas of each other's lives (e.g.; welfare, food stamps, education, etc.), but when it comes to getting involved themselves, they "cede" their own personal responsibility over to others? Think about that in terms of our children and their education. How many of us take an "active" role in the education of our children? Do we "expect" schools to take care of everything, including providing totally for our children's safety while in school or participating in school activities? The logical next step might then be to ask how far does that responsibility for provision of safety extend? School personnel? Law enforcement? Emergency medical? Public information? Please think about this for a second or two. Where does personal responsibility enter into the equation? We witnessed first hand the chaos felt by frantic parents both at Platte Canyon High School and at Columbine High School. Perhaps it's time for all of us to think about what each of us might be able to do to help plan for the type of chaos that inevitably follows events like these. We are all stakeholders in this. Our schools should be considered as "critical infrastructure" as far as we are concerned. It then becomes incumbent on us, as community members, to address how to best protect that "critical infrastructure".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jan 2013 12:06 #12 by ZHawke
Another thing for all of us to consider: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/RL32631.pdf

This is a Congressional Research Service report that defines "critical infrastructure". Schools are included on the list.

In order to "protect and preserve" critical infrastructures, we all need to recognize and accept money and resources are required. Some of these critical infrastructures are public and some are private. All deserve due consideration, in my opinion.

09 Jan 2013 12:08 #13 by ZHawke
Some additional "food for thought": For those who may not know, following the bombing in Oklahoma City, the Federal govt. invested who knows how many millions of dollars in upgrading security at their facilities and in their buildings. I know because I worked at the Federal Center in Lakewood. This included cement barriers in front of buildings, an armed security force that actually boards every single RTD bus entering the Fed Center and guarding at least one entrance to every single building in addition to electronic key cards for access by employees at every other entrance. In all that time, in all those upgrades, not once do I remember ever having to participate in an active shooter scenario drill such as a lock down or lock out.

Guess what I'm trying to say is if the government is willing to spend that much time and effort on upgrading physical and/or critical infrastructures to protect themselves and all federal employees, perhaps it's also time to devote that much attention and that many resources to our schools, as well. Businesses are a much different animal in this regard, as they are pretty much on their own to address these issues as they see fit. Some do so much more than others.

09 Jan 2013 22:38 #14 by BadgerKustoms
A great idea putting this into this section, but seeing two pages of only your own comments on the idea have me wondering if 'falling on deaf ears' is better than 'falling on none'. Hopefully I'm wrong on that and others will chime in, until then however, count me in Z.

Have to admit I need to go back and read up on the material you've posted here, just sort of skimmed this and that, which does no one any real good, but being this is my first post in this section I'll simply offer some background in hopes that others will read and find it suitable or viable to discussion on the matter. And in the mean time, go back and read a bit so I'm "up to speed".

A quick personal background, for others reading this who might hopefully join in. School safety is very important to me as I did have a son in attendance on Sept. 27th 2006 at Platte Canyon H.S., cannot begin to explain the level of fear I felt that day, but will admit to acting in a way that most other parents might not. Arguably, not in the best manner but quite effective none the less. While my kids are now relatively 'grown' (are they ever fully? lol ) and on their own now, the emotions experienced and the reactions might not ever differ even if my performance becomes inhibited by an aging body, should situations deem once again necessity. I have this feeling that most parents are this way, even if physical abilities differ.

Potential solutions should be discussed and with that, certain understandings come into play. With these "solutions" does that mean no harm will never occur again? Probably not. Does that mean certain rights will be eliminated? Probably not. And more correctly phrased, "hopefully not". If someone feels their rights are somehow violated by having to pass through certain detection devices just to attend classes, well there is strong vote for the "probably not". Should every teacher be required to carry a firearm? Well as a "pro-gun" but realist type, I'd suggest they be given the option to do so. Seriously, if someone is not confident/capable do you really want them to carry? If safety is the goal, confidence and capability need to be without question to that individual. And adversely, if someone lacks confidence of that individual wishing to carry, should it not be brought before some sort of committee or assembly where everyone can state the pros/cons? At this point I'm getting ahead of things, but I suspect it can be seen where logic and cooperation will play a vital role in a school district's decisions on the subject.

We all know that computers, detectors, cameras, security personnel, etc., should probably be a major consideration but I would also strongly suggest that the 'education' of safety come from the home, from we the parents. As someone who specializes in emergency preparedness, I will admit to having told my children, "If anything should ever go horribly wrong, I'll be there.", and I proved that to be correct back in 2006. But fortunately other little tid bits of info sank in, things I never imagined and thus was surprised that my own son was more prepared than I was. A happy but scary reward and yet still very sad as news would later unfold. The simple fact is, bad things can happen no matter the level of preparedness, but to do nothing about it makes one's odds that much more unfavorable.

We don't live in a world of happiness and light unfortunately, but we do live in one where free will and proper planning can amount to more than we possibly imagine. The education begins in the home, should continue in the school, and maintain a safe venture as long as everyone cooperates accordingly and makes good decisions that work for their needs. So I encourage everyone who reads this to join in, keeping politics to the side if at all possible. Offer ideas, what would YOU do to make our schools a safer place for our youth to learn?

Badger

10 Jan 2013 12:59 - 13 Nov 2014 09:46 #15 by ZHawke
Yep, Badger. So far, it's like I've been talking to myself. Thanks for joining in. Glad you're here.

One of the things I'd ask you to consider is whether or not you might be willing to suggest friends of yours join in the discussion here. I'm of the opinion in order to get things going, we may need to think outside our usual My Mountain Town "box" of constraints we set for ourselves.

I do have some questions for you, but will work on asking them a little later.

Thanks, again.
ZHawke

10 Jan 2013 12:59 #16 by ZHawke
While I'm thinking of it, I'd like to add a "disclaimer" to anything and everything I personally post regarding school safety. My background is in planning, training, and emergency exercises in emergency management. As such, my inherent responsibility is to question everything, and to try to follow everything to a logical, consensus based conclusion. If anyone posts anything regarding school safety in this thread, or in others, please be prepared to be questioned if I see something that may need to be addressed. It isn't because I'm being argumentative or disagreeable. Rather, it's because I'm trying to point something out that may need further explanation, clarification, or, perhaps, further thought on the subject. A discussion of school safety measures that a local community decides to try out requires this type of process, and I believe our kids deserve it, too.

10 Jan 2013 17:03 #17 by ComputerBreath
One of the things that chapped my butt after Emily was killed at Platte Canyon, was what the school in Fairplay did. I volunteered to be part of a group of people that would explore ways to keep our children safe while they were at school. And no one took me up on my offer.

Partly because the principal didn't like me...

Anyways, I retired from the Air Force in 2005 after spending 20 years. And I learned a lot about keeping people safe on and off military installations. I suggested that it would be very easy for someone to place a briefcase or backpack with explosive material in it near the locked entrance to the school and that to that end, all of the students and staff should be told to be aware of something that looks out of place...it fell on deaf ears.

I am willing to become part of a round-table discussion to explore ways to keep schools safe (and from there other places where large amounts of people gather). No one up to now has been willing to listen to me.

10 Jan 2013 17:24 - 13 Nov 2014 09:50 #18 by ZHawke

ComputerBreath wrote: One of the things that chapped my butt after Emily was killed at Platte Canyon, was what the school in Fairplay did. I volunteered to be part of a group of people that would explore ways to keep our children safe while they were at school. And no one took me up on my offer.

Partly because the principal didn't like me...

Anyways, I retired from the Air Force in 2005 after spending 20 years. And I learned a lot about keeping people safe on and off military installations. I suggested that it would be very easy for someone to place a briefcase or backpack with explosive material in it near the locked entrance to the school and that to that end, all of the students and staff should be told to be aware of something that looks out of place...it fell on deaf ears.

I am willing to become part of a round-table discussion to explore ways to keep schools safe (and from there other places where large amounts of people gather). No one up to now has been willing to listen to me.

Well, we are willing. Welcome to the discussion. If there is eventually enough interest shown, the ultimate goal is to organize a PEACE Challenge group (please see our website - link in my very first post). It doesn't have to be called a PEACE Challenge group. It doesn't have to be called anything at all. The goal is take input, ideas, suggestions, and recommendations from people like you, and approach schools in a more "organized" manner. Our approach, if you want to call it that, is to try to do things a little "bassackwards" and organize first, approach schools second. Our experience has been schools, in general, are reluctant to embrace things like this for many reasons (I won't go into detail here). But if the "community" organizes and is able to show the schools they really can help, they'll hopefully be more receptive. Failing that, community groups can always play the "legal mandate" card as a last resort.

I appreciate what you tried to do, but as is the case all too often, there's more strength in numbers than individually. And, even then, it takes persistence, determination, and sustainability to keep it going. Again, a quote from our website:

If students, parents, and community members mobilize, get educated, get informed, and offer to help, then there can be no more excuses.

This isn't "pie in the sky" thinking. We've seen it happen. We've helped make it happen. And, probably the best part of it is - it ain't rocket science. So anyone can do it. We just have to resolve to work together.

10 Jan 2013 17:59 #19 by ZHawke
So, here's a planning question. But first, our hearts go out to those enduring, once again, an act of gun violence perpetrated in a school, this time in California.

It's my understanding this situation was "defused" when the young man with a shotgun was talked into surrendering both the gun and himself. A logical follow-on question to this ending might be to ask, "If there had been armed teachers, and/or this school did not have a "gun free zone" (don't know if this school had one or not, but am posing a hypothetical), what are the chances, given our national sensitivity to events like these that this young man with a gun would have survived?"

Again, this is a planning question for consideration, nothing more. It's not meant to be pro or anti gun. To me, it's a logical "hotwash" question they may even be asking themselves in the followup debriefings.

10 Jan 2013 19:42 #20 by ComputerBreath
I do not believe the young man with the weapon in California, had he not been persuaded to put the weapon down, would have survived. Maybe that was his goal...suicide by cop???

This is so circular...an individual is a victim or is present at a violent event at some point in their lives, it affects them immeasurably, but the individual doesn't know where to go for help, is afraid to ask for help and being stigmatized, and/or the people around them (parents, teachers, friends, etc.) aren't paying attention and don't see the slide into the abyss, so they decide to eliminate the source of their pain and/or themselves...and then you have an individual that is a victim or is present at a violent event...

In your blog you mentioned ripples...the ripples that happened to you because of Columbine not only affected your son, daughter, wife, and you, but they will affect your children's children, and their children, etc, etc. These ripples will affect anyone you talk with about this, they will affect extended family and their family, and so on. For the rest of time. In my experience, the only way to calm the ripples (they'll never be stopped entirely) is to talk about the tragedy...with professionals, friends, family, strangers, clergy.

And once again, if someone is hell bent on destruction of themselves or anyone around them, it will happen.

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds