Our Hawaii Vacation

25 Jul 2011 03:54 #1 by ScienceChic
I'd forgotten the lull of the sound of the surf pounding, the gorgeous blue of the ocean, and the peaceful feeling all around. It's so good to be back in Hawaii! Our last trip was 5 years ago, right after our oldest had turned 3. He was deathly afraid of the waves at the beach, and din't like the feel of the sand all that much so we spent a lot of time at the pool instead (he LOVES water otherwise). This time, the kids are 8 and almost 4 (youngest will celebrate her birthday while we're here).

This trip came about because hubby's company has an office here on Oahu and every July Quarterly Alignment Meeting the families are invited - they pay for a spouse/SO's ticket; we pick up the kids. We weren't going to come (bad history of poor communication/not-on-the-same-page-expectations and major fights between me and hubby), but this time, the guy in charge of the Oahu office needed hubby to work a few days of the following week too, and we hate Dad being gone over the weekend. So off we all went, on a 7 hour plane ride! Here's the view of the Rockies this time of year and Oahu just before landing:

We stayed at the JW Marriott, which the NFL books for the Pro Bowl. We can see why (it was kind of in the middle of nowhere, and a little boring - one pool that was only 3.5 ft deep). The drive up to the entrance:

The view from our room:

The munchkins are very happy playing with friends they haven't seen in a year! My daughter took to the ocean with absolutely no fear (unlike her big brother when we were here last). He's gotten over that issue. lol One day in the pool the kids started an innocent game of Keep-Away between themselves. Not content to let them play in peace, the [adults] joined in and took over the entire pool during the process! The kids were quicker, but the adults used guile and strength (ie, they cheated, bodily tossing the kids away from the ball so they could retrieve it instead!).

I've started my sauteeing (I packed spf 8, or Canola Oil as hubby calls it! Of everyone, I'm the only one who hasn't burned yet - they're wearing 50)! It's been waaayyy too long since I've been properly tan... ;)

If it weren't for the palm trees, it almost looks like a Colorado mountain - brown and shrubby:

This is the Ko Olina area, not as much rainfall here.

Every morning, the sand zamboni came out and smoothed the beach - did you know they even had such things? I've been cautioned to watch for any zombies they might disturb! :biggrin:

More pics to follow, but I'll end with the quintessential sunset shots:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jul 2011 07:02 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
Familiar area. Peaceful it is. It's great you can mix business with pleasure. We try to take advantage of such possibilities whenever possible. Keep posting those lovely pictures.

25 Jul 2011 19:11 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
So we went for a catamaran boat trip to snorkel and eat! Had a special treat of being entertained by the dolphins! Unfortunately, I accidentally erased the video I took of their antics, but a few pics show their prowess and them swimming right under our feet.

Here sharky, sharky, sharky!! :biggrin:

This is looking over toward our hotel.

Going...

Going...

Gone!

And no matter where I went, I can't seem to get away from reminders of 285Bound! :sunshine:

Coincidence??? Hmmm...! :rofl :wave:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

25 Jul 2011 19:16 #4 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
Nice pics and description SC! Looks like a great vacation! Enjoy! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

25 Jul 2011 19:19 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
Cinnamon Girl in Hawaii. I actually have story about that.

25 Jul 2011 21:03 #6 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
Sounds like a great time SC.....keep the pics coming, we can all enjoy your vacation vicariously!

26 Jul 2011 10:45 #7 by Rockdoc

archer wrote: Sounds like a great time SC.....keep the pics coming, we can all enjoy your vacation vicariously!

Indeed.

26 Jul 2011 10:49 #8 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
The water looks beautiful. I guess the sand zombonis would crush all the shells?

26 Jul 2011 11:20 #9 by Rockdoc

chickaree wrote: The water looks beautiful. I guess the sand zombonis would crush all the shells?

There are not a lot of shells washed ashore. The reason being the seafloor is either rock or encrusted by massive buildups of Lithothamnion ( a red alga that secretes a concrete-like skeleton. Any shelled organism (clams, snails, sea urchins, etc) that can survive in the wave scoured hard bottom cement themselves to the sea floor or drill into the rock like sea floor itself. Sea urchins by the billions drill into the alga through their browsing action. So those shelled organisms remain attached or if broken and washed ashore hardly make for ideal shelling. The best shelling beaches have sandy seafloor instead of rocky bottoms. This allows storms to excavate them and wash them ashore whole, where they then die and await the eager collector. :)

26 Jul 2011 11:35 #10 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Our Hawaii Vacation
Thanks for the lesson! :)

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds