Duck Hawk?

15 Nov 2011 14:03 #1 by Photo-fish
Duck Hawk? was created by Photo-fish
Pictures taken in Evergreen near a wastewater plant. Duck was most likely swimming in the lagoon and was attacked by the hawk. Anybody recognize the species of hawk? After a bit of pecking, blood letting and several attempts to fly off with the duck in it's talons (It's a question of weight ratios...), a coyote came by and strolled off with the duck. Sorry for the images, crappy work camera.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Nov 2011 15:48 #2 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic Duck Hawk?
I believe that is a PRAIRIE HAWK..?

15 Nov 2011 16:03 #3 by MamaRama
Photo-fish i think I mis-spoke. I looked at a few Hawks in the book the guide to Co. Birds and noticed 2 that might be it. One being a Northern Harrier and the other Northern Goshawk. You might want to check those out...

15 Nov 2011 16:15 #4 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Duck Hawk?
Based on hunting style I vote for the Northern Goshawk.

A powerful raptor of northern forests, the Northern Goshawk is the largest North American accipiter. It maneuvers through dense woods, taking prey as small as squirrels and as large as grouse, crows, and snowshoe hare.

The Cornell lab of Ornithology

Harriers are the hawks you see flitting fairly low along fence lines, field edges.

Quite some time ago I was duck hunting in some pretty dense cover and watched a Goshawk nail a coot. It happened very fast.

15 Nov 2011 16:49 #5 by MamaRama
Hey Grady maybe you can answer a question for me (not that this is the correct thread) but I'm gonna ask, Do squirrels eat meat and will they eat their injured young??

15 Nov 2011 16:57 #6 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Duck Hawk?

MamaRama wrote: Hey Grady maybe you can answer a question for me (not that this is the correct thread) but I'm gonna ask, Do squirrels eat meat and will they eat their injured young??

????? although meat isn't part of the regular diet, I would think they might occasionally eat meat. I am reasonably certain they would kill the injured young. As for eating their injured young I suppose so especially in a stress situation.

15 Nov 2011 16:59 #7 by MamaRama
It's really a gross question/s but i didn't know who to ask.. thank you....

17 Nov 2011 12:17 #8 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Duck Hawk?
They will nibble on a carcass of a bird or even a deer. They eat insects too. I had a 5 point antler hanging in a tree in our yard. The squirrels have nibbled it down to a 3 pointer since March for the calcium and other nutrients.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBIegXwluU

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

17 Nov 2011 12:40 #9 by MamaRama
Thanks Photo-fish, This little bugger was carrying something large (another squirrel?) across the yard the day I asked the question so it peaked my interest and i just had to ask..

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds