The Most Expensive Photo in the World

13 Dec 2011 12:07 #1 by ScienceChic
I'm baffled at this price for a photo. Granted, it's 81x140 inches, but still... :dontget: It is very serene, wouldn't mind it in my family room! :)

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertai ... rld/44772/
The Most Expensive Photo in the World
Alexander Abad-Santos
Nov 9, 2011

It's called "Rhein II" and was photographed by Andreas Gursky, and it sold on Tuesday night for $4.3 million at Christie's .

Executed in 1999. This work is number one from an edition of six.

Other works from this edition are in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York; Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich; Tate Modern, London and the Glenstone Collection, Potomac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Gursky
Andreas Gursky (January 15, 1955) is a German visual artist known for his enormous architecture and landscape color photographs, often employing a high point of view. Rhein II, an image by Gursky, fetched $4.3m (£2.7m) at Christie's, New York on November 8, 2011, becoming the most expensive photograph ever sold.[1]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Dec 2014 18:12 #2 by ScienceChic
Well, the record just got blown out of the water. It's an amazing shot, that's undeniable. I'm sure I can't share it here, so you'll have to click the link to see for yourself. :)

Peter Lik’s “Phantom” Image Sells for $6.5 Million
by Chris Gampat on 12/10/2014

According to PRNewsWire:

“The purchase also included Lik’s masterworks “Illusion” for $2.4 million and “Eternal Moods” for $1.1 million. With this $10 million sale, Lik now holds four of the top 20 spots for most expensive photographs ever sold. He already has a position in the ranking with a previous $1 million sale of famed image, “One.”

Read more at www.thephoblographer.com/2014/12/10/pete...#8gDzd6t1fQrsTf1S.99

Peter Lik's website:
www.lik.com/news/newsarticle57/

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds