wxgeek's weather-Update April 23

20 Apr 2011 15:39 #1 by RenegadeCJ
Update Sat Apr 23

Unexpected but very nice to wake up to a blanket of snow this morning. Just when I thought the models were getting better...oh well, gotta love the moisture and I'm sure this helped the Meyer Ranch fire effort.

So, if we believe the models now, this batch of moisture should exit by late morning, but the next batch will be close on it's heels to arrive by late this afternoon and continue into Sunday morning. Mountains have Winter Storm Warnings and Winter Weather Advisories posted through Sunday for 5 to 16 inches of snow, so any travel west across the mountains this wekeend will encounter winter driving conditions. For the foothills, snow level should remain between 7500-8500 ft today, lowering to about 6500 ft tonight and into Sunday morning. I now expect and additional 1-2 inches for lower foothill areas, and 2-5 inches for areas above 8000 ft by Sunday morning. Urban Corridor areas could see a dusting to an inch on grassy areas Sunday morning, but roads below 7000 ft should remain just wet. Roads above 8000 ft could be slick in spots Saturday night into Sunday morning.

Looks like a small break Sunday morning in the weather before more showers and snow arrive Sunday afternoon and presist into Monday morning. Another 1-3 inches of snow possible above 7000-8000 ft by Monday morning, so commute could be a little snow at higher elevations. Precip should end by late Monday morning.

Another small break Monday before the strongest system in this series arrives late Monday night into Tuesday. This system has colder air which will bring the snow level down to Plains level by Tuesday morning, and will have pretty strong northwest winds on Tuesday. This system could drop another several inches of snow across the foothills and Plains by Tuesday afternoon.

Remainder of next week then looks warmer and dry.

Update Wed Apr 20

Another round of showers on the way for late this afternoon into tonight from yet another weak disturbance embedded in brisk westerly flow aloft. This is actually a fairly typical Spring weather pattern for CO. Showers will develop over higher western mountains this afternoon and spread east into the foothills and adjacent Plains by early evening. Showers could persist until about 9 pm to midnight tonight. Snow level looks to be around 9000 ft, but could lower to 8000 ft in some heavier showers. I would not expect more than and inch or two for any accumulation above 9000 ft, most areas likely to see only a dusting. The vast majority of activity will be north of I-70, but some showers will be present farther south.

Thursday will begin mostly sunny and be the warmest day of the week, along with some breezy westerly winds in the afternoon. Showers look to be confined to the northwest mountains west of the Divide. An isolated shower is possble in the foothills Thursday afternoon, but not likely. Friday also looks mostly sunny but cooler. A cold front is forecast to move south across CO late in the day on Friday, and will bring some weak upslope flow in it's wake on Friday evening and night. This may produce some dense fog along the foothills. Showers develop late Friday night into Saturday morning over the mountains west of the Divide and may spread east to the higher foothills by Saturday afternoon, but coverage should be isolated. Snow level will be 8500-9500 ft on Saturday, so travel across I-70 could have some accumulation.

Sunday will likely have more numerous showers in the afternoon and evening with snow level around 9000-10,000 ft. Early next week looks to continue the unsettled pattern with more showers and cooler temps. then warmer and drier weather looks on tap for later next week.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Apr 2011 07:00 #2 by RenegadeCJ
Bump for April 23 update

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds