wxgeek's weather-Powerful Storm for CO This weekend

11 Nov 2011 15:54 #1 by RenegadeCJ
Update Fri Nov 11

Lots of weather warnings out for CO this weekend. In the mountains, NWS has issued Winter Weather Advisory for the southwest mountains, Winter Storm Warning for the central mountains, and a Blizzard Warning for the northern mountains. A High Wind Warning is in effect for the foothills from midnight tonight through 6 pm Saturday for sustained winds of 30-50 mph, with gusts to 75 mph. Strongest winds will br north of I-70, but still plenty of wind to cause power outages and downed trees in our area. Travel on roads in and near the foothills will be difficult at times with very strong crosswinds, especially on US 285 and CO 93.

Upper flow aloft will increase tonight and be coupled with an enhanced mountain wave which will help force strong winds downward along the eastern slopes of the foothills. Strong downslope westerly winds will persist into Saturday. Flow aloft actually increases Saturday evening and night, but conditions don't favor another enhanced mounain wave, but westerly winds will still be quite strong Saturday night into Sunday. This strong flow in the mountains will be accompanied by heavy snow causing blizzard conditions for the central and northern mountains, mostly after about noon on Saturday into Sunday afternoon. Expect road delays and closures across the Divide, especially I-70 and US 40. Snow and wind should diminish by Sunday evening in the mountains.

For next week, brisk northwest flow aloft will persist, which will cause some orographic snow in the northern mountains on west facing slopes, but mostly dry and breezy conditions for the foothills and Plains. Long range models indicate a Pacific storm may affect western CO next weekend.
Very colorful watch and warning map for CO exists today. We range from a Red Flag Warning on the eastern Plains, to a High Wind Watch for the foothills, to a Winter Storm Watch and Blizzard Watch for the mountains.

Latest models indicate a powerful storm system will impact CO this weekend. Ahead of the system, very strong westerly winds will form Friday afternoon into Saturday morning along the foothills. Wind speeds of 25-50 mph will be likely with gusts to 65 mph possible, especially north of I-70. The system will bring snow to the mountains, primarily west of the Divide on Saturday, and continue into Sunday afternoon. Strong westerly winds will accompany the snow, so blizzard conditions will become possible and likely at times over the weekend. Snow accummulations of 8-16 inches are possible west of the Divide. Snow could spill over to a line from Longs Peak to Kenosha Pass at times on Saturday. Snowfall rates of 1-2 inches per hour possible during the day on Saturday in the high country, so travel will become very difficult across I-70 and US 40 and 50 with delays and closures likely.

For our foothills, just a high wind event Friday afternoon into Saturday morning. Otherwise I would not expect more than a few stray snowflakes on Saturday. Sunday will be cooler and dry. Models still indicate next week will be dry and mild for most of CO. Next chance for snow looks to be the week of Thanksgiving.

"It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong".

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds