wxgeek's weather-Update Monday May 21

21 May 2012 16:05 #1 by RenegadeCJ
Upper ridge currently moving into CO which will lead to temps well above seasonal norms and limit precip to very isolated afternoon and evening thunderstorms today. Temps will approach and possibly break records on Tuesday as southwest winds will increase to 15-35 mph in the afternoon to evening hours, combined with very low RH values fire danger will become very high Tuesday into Wednesday across much of CO. Although we have seen a significant "green up" in most areas, fuel moisture remains relatively low and brush and needles under tress remain very dry, so any fire ignition could become a fast moving fire given atmospheric conditions Tuesday and Wednesday. No precip is expected Tuesday.

Wednesday will start out warm and breezy, but a cold front from WY associated with a large upper trough over the wetsern U.S. is expected to move south through CO by late Wednesday afternoon and cool temps as well as usher in low level moisture. Showers are expected behind the front Wednesday eveing into Wednesday night, although most precip will remain north of I-70. Snow level could lower to 9000-9500 ft overnight.

Thursday will be cooler with temps closer to seasonal norms or below with showers possible by afternoon/evening. Again, best chances will be north of I-70 but precip is psosible south to the Pal;mer Divide and southern foothills. Snow level again between 9000 and 10,000 ft.

By Friday, deep upper trough forms over NV and creates some ridging and strong southwest flow across CO which will warm temps and lower precip chances. Some isolated showers and thunderstorms possible but mostly over the higher mountains west of the Divide and north of I-70.

Models now keep the Memorial Day weekend mostly dry with warm temps across the state. some isolated afternoon/evening showers and thunderstorms are possible, but little precip expected so fire danger will be elevated for the big outdoor weekend, but weather should be nice to get out and enjoy your favorite activities.

"It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong".

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds