wxgeek's weather-Soaking rain moving thru-Update 9/12

11 Sep 2012 14:33 #1 by RenegadeCJ
Update Wed Sep 12

Band of rain associated with upper trough slowly moving south across CO today. The back edge of precip is currently along a line roughly alligned with I-76 southwest to US 285. This line will slowly move southeast this afternoon and tonight. Precip should end north of I-70 this afternoon and end north of US 50 by midnight, exiting the state by Thursday morning. So far, precip amounts in the 0.50 to 1.25 inch range along the foothills and Urban Corridor with 1.15 at Conifer HS. A much needed soaking for many areas of our state. Snow level looks to be around 11,000 ft, and should lower to around 10,000 ft by this evening. Higher peaks should have a nice white coating on them tomorow with 4-10 inches of snow above 12,000 ft.

With all of the moisture on the ground, we could see areas of dense fog late tonight and Thursday morning along the foothills and Urban Corridor. The rest of Thursday should be mostly sunny with temps rebounding upward. Friday trhough Sunday should also be mostly sunny with temps back at or slightly above seasoanl norms as an upper ridge builds back over CO. Slight chance for isolated showers Sunday afternoon over the foothills and higher terrain east of the Divide.

A cold front associated with an upper trough passing to our north will cool temps on Monday and bring a chance for some showers, mostly north of I-70 during the day on Monday. A dry northwest flow aloft will remain over CO next week keeping conditions mostly sunny with temps near seasonal norms. Next chance for precip looks to be next weekend when another upper trough and associated cold front clips the state from the northwest.

"It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong".

----
Update Tue Sep 11

Showers and some thunderstorms beginning to move into western CO. Plume of monsoon moisture will push east across the Divide and into the foothills late this afternoon and into the Plains this evening. A cold front moving down from the nothwest will interact with monsoon moisture to create some moderate to heavy rain tonight into Wednmesday afternoon across much of CO. Some embedded thunderstorms possible, but this event will mostly be a good soaking rain. Models now keep snow level higher, so looks like the white stuff will stay above 10,000 - 11,000 ft with this system. Areas above 12,000 ft could see a foot of snow between now and Thursday morning. Models output between 1.00 and 2.00 inches of rain with this system across the foothills, which will be graciously received. Rain could be heavy at times from tonight into Wednesday night, so we could see come localized flooding, and roads could have standing water. Cold front will slowly move south during the day on Wednesday and most precip should come to an end by Wednesday evening along I-70 and by Thursday morning along US 50.

Thuesday may see a few isolated showers before noon, but clearing later in the day with temps well below seasonal norms. Friday and Saturday will be mostly sunny with temps warming back to near seasonal norms. Sunday may have a few isolated showers in the afternoon and evening, but mostly a nice day as well.

Another upper trough and cold front expected to move through CO on Monday and bring renewed chances for showers, especially north of I-70. Snow level could dip down to around 10,000 ft by Monday afternoon. The rest of next week looks mostly dry with temps near seasonal norms.

"It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong".

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds