wxgeek's weather-Weather Outlook Jan 4-11-Update 1/5

05 Jan 2015 13:13 #1 by RenegadeCJ
Update Mon Jan 5

Very strong westerly winds in the mountains east of the Divide into the foothills and adjacent plains today. Wind gusts to 93 mph have been recorded in Boulder County, US 285 is shut down across South Park. Wind sensor in Jefferson recorded a 109 mph gust, but NWS believes this is a sensor error as this sensor seems to stick on 109 mph during these conditions. I imagine residents in South Park would believe the sensor. Winds are expected to begin to die down this evening, with the High Wind Warning expiring at 11 pm tonight. Temps climbing well above seasonal norms due to warming katabatic winds. Some orographic snow in the High Country along the Divide and west facing slopes today, but mostly blowing and drifting of snow causing travel issues.

Tuesday should see calmer winds with mostly sunny skies and temps again well above seasonal norms. Back door cold front still expected to move into eastern CO Tuesday night, but models today keep the cold air and clouds/light snow mostly east of the I-25 corridor, so not sure how much, if any, snow and clouds will make it into the foothills. Plains may see a dusting of snow Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, but conditions expected to clear out statewide by Wednesday evening. Temps likely to be below seasonal norms east of I-25, but near normal west of I-25 on Wednesday.

Thursday should be mostly sunny statewide with temps above seasonal norms, and some breezy westerly winds in the foothills. Models today suggest another back door cold front will move into eastern CO Thursday night bringing cooler temps and some light snow from the foothills east by Friday morning. Cold air and clouds with some light snow expected to persist through Friday evening.

Models are struggling with the forecast for this weekend. Latest forecast call for mostly dry conditions Saturday with temps near seasonal norms with a chance for snow snow in the High Country. On Sunday, some additional snow in the mountains, but foothills and plains remain dry with temps near seasonal norms. Snow may move into eastern Co Sunday night into Monday evening.

For next week, models remain in flux. Latest models bring an upper level trough into the Great Basin that could bring snow to most of CO early to mid next week, but forecast will likely change this week seeing as how confused models currently appear to be.

"It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong".

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds