New Campaign Calls on Coloradans to Check Tires Before Driving to Mountains

02 Jan 2019 20:32 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Operation TireSafe
"All-Season" Isn't Best for Every Season

When it comes to snow or ice on the ground, all-season tires simply don't compare to winter tires. Consider investing in safety by having a set of winter tires so you're prepared for any winter conditions that Colorado throws at you.

If a Traction Law is called, your all-season tires might not make the cut. If you don't have the proper equipment during a Traction Law, you could face fines as low as $130 or as high as $650.

Learn about Colorado's Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws

Check Your Tread with the Quarter Test

How do you know if you need new tires? The Quarter Test is a quick and easy way to assess if your tires meet the minimum tread depth (one-eighth-inch) during a Traction Law.
  • Insert a quarter into the tire tread upside down, with Washington's head going in first.
  • If the top of George's head is covered by the tread, your tires are OK. Do this test at multiple points around each tire.
  • If the top of his head is visible at any point around the tire, your tires won't meet the Traction Law minimum, and you should consider new tires.

January 2, 2019
As Colorado’s mountains get blanketed with snow, advocates with CoPIRG Foundation and the I-70 Coalition have launched a new campaign called #BaldTiresSuck aimed at educating drivers to check their tires before driving into the mountains. The groups are highlighting that driving on bald tires along I-70 and other mountain roads in winter weather conditions is unsafe for you and for the travelers around you, and it can cost you a stiff penalty if your car causes a crash or lane closure.

“We are launching the #BaldTiresSuck campaign to call out what a huge issue inadequate tires are on the I-70 mountain corridor.” said Margaret Bowes, Director of the I-70 Coalition. “Just a single vehicle with substandard tires can cause a crash or block the highway, resulting in traffic jams that bring travel along the corridor to a standstill or close the interstate entirely.”

“One death travelling along I-70 is one too many, especially when it can be prevented,” said Danny Katz, Director of CoPIRG Foundation. “That’s why we have a new hashtag we’re launching -- #BaldTiresSuck – so we can stop preventable crashes by educating people about tire safety as well as draw attention to travel options that involve leaving your car behind for your entire trip to the mountains.”

Bald tires are tires where the tread has worn down to a point where it cannot adequately grip the road and is no longer safe to drive on. Bald tires can cause a lack of control, hydroplaning, blowouts and understeering, all of which are made even worse by icy, winter road conditions.

According to data from Federal Highway Administration, 9 percent of crashes nationally were tire-related. Colorado does not have one central place where tire-related crashes are tracked, however according to CDOT, crashes — not traffic volume — account for as much as 60 percent of all traffic delays on Colorado roads.

"Too often we see motorists driving up the I-70 Mountain Corridor without proper tires. Having the proper traction can make a huge difference in getting you to where you need to go safely. Most of the crashes that happen during snow storms are caused by motorists either driving too fast for the conditions or by driving on tires with hardly any tread. Be prepared before heading up the mountains and make sure you have at least an 1/8th inch of tread." stated Andrew Hogle, CDOT Public Information Officer.

"Sitting in a tow truck, or worse, an ambulance, should not be the first time you think about proper tires" says Colorado State Patrol Master Sergeant Donald Enloe. He is the I-70 Incident and Resource Manager. "Beyond just the inconvenience of bad traffic as a result of crashes and slide offs, we have seen far too many people injured or killed for something as simple as not having the correct or safe tires on their vehicle when traveling."

As part of CDOT's effort to build smarter roadways with more informed drivers, in the coming weeks CDOT’s RoadX Program will be deploying a new technology that can automatically detect both tread and tire pressure. This new system will be installed at the Dinosaur Lots in Morrison this winter.

Many people might not realize they have a bald tire. Despite the name, a bald tire is not completely tread free. The groups highlighted a simple test that all drivers can do to check the tread on their tires – the quarter test. To do this, you put a quarter into your tire tread with President Washington’s head facing down. If you can see the top of Washington’s head, you have a bald tire that is not safe for winter driving conditions.

Vehicles using bald tires can also receive a $133 ticket if they drive along I-70 when the Colorado Traction Law is in effect. During this time, if a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment, they could be fined more than $650.

Even if you have a vehicle with adequate tires, CoPIRG and the I-70 Coalition encourage travelers to take advantage of transit options to travel along and around I-70 communities. Travelers should use www.GoI70.com/transit to find information on all the ways to get to and around the mountains, including local transit options, shared vans and shuttles services, and the newly expanded Bustang service, which now provides connections from Denver all the way to Grand Junction via its West Line service. Bustang’s West Line has launched a new route that leaves daily from Denver Union Station at 7:00 am arriving in Frisco at 8:45 am (one-way $12), Vail at 9:20am (one-way $17), and Glenwood Springs at 10:45am (one-way $28).

For information the traction law, the quarter test and CDOT’s winter driving tips check out the CDOT website.

For more information, contact:

Danny Katz – CoPIRG Foundation Director, 608-215-0929, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Margaret Bowes – I-70 Coalition Director, 970-389-4347, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jan 2019 12:20 #2 by homeagain

Mountain-News-Events wrote: Operation TireSafe
"All-Season" Isn't Best for Every Season

When it comes to snow or ice on the ground, all-season tires simply don't compare to winter tires. Consider investing in safety by having a set of winter tires so you're prepared for any winter conditions that Colorado throws at you.

If a Traction Law is called, your all-season tires might not make the cut. If you don't have the proper equipment during a Traction Law, you could face fines as low as $130 or as high as $650.

Learn about Colorado's Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws

Check Your Tread with the Quarter Test

How do you know if you need new tires? The Quarter Test is a quick and easy way to assess if your tires meet the minimum tread depth (one-eighth-inch) during a Traction Law.
  • Insert a quarter into the tire tread upside down, with Washington's head going in first.
  • If the top of George's head is covered by the tread, your tires are OK. Do this test at multiple points around each tire.
  • If the top of his head is visible at any point around the tire, your tires won't meet the Traction Law minimum, and you should consider new tires.

January 2, 2019
As Colorado’s mountains get blanketed with snow, advocates with CoPIRG Foundation and the I-70 Coalition have launched a new campaign called #BaldTiresSuck aimed at educating drivers to check their tires before driving into the mountains. The groups are highlighting that driving on bald tires along I-70 and other mountain roads in winter weather conditions is unsafe for you and for the travelers around you, and it can cost you a stiff penalty if your car causes a crash or lane closure.

“We are launching the #BaldTiresSuck campaign to call out what a huge issue inadequate tires are on the I-70 mountain corridor.” said Margaret Bowes, Director of the I-70 Coalition. “Just a single vehicle with substandard tires can cause a crash or block the highway, resulting in traffic jams that bring travel along the corridor to a standstill or close the interstate entirely.”

“One death travelling along I-70 is one too many, especially when it can be prevented,” said Danny Katz, Director of CoPIRG Foundation. “That’s why we have a new hashtag we’re launching -- #BaldTiresSuck – so we can stop preventable crashes by educating people about tire safety as well as draw attention to travel options that involve leaving your car behind for your entire trip to the mountains.”

Bald tires are tires where the tread has worn down to a point where it cannot adequately grip the road and is no longer safe to drive on. Bald tires can cause a lack of control, hydroplaning, blowouts and understeering, all of which are made even worse by icy, winter road conditions.

According to data from Federal Highway Administration, 9 percent of crashes nationally were tire-related. Colorado does not have one central place where tire-related crashes are tracked, however according to CDOT, crashes — not traffic volume — account for as much as 60 percent of all traffic delays on Colorado roads.

"Too often we see motorists driving up the I-70 Mountain Corridor without proper tires. Having the proper traction can make a huge difference in getting you to where you need to go safely. Most of the crashes that happen during snow storms are caused by motorists either driving too fast for the conditions or by driving on tires with hardly any tread. Be prepared before heading up the mountains and make sure you have at least an 1/8th inch of tread." stated Andrew Hogle, CDOT Public Information Officer.

"Sitting in a tow truck, or worse, an ambulance, should not be the first time you think about proper tires" says Colorado State Patrol Master Sergeant Donald Enloe. He is the I-70 Incident and Resource Manager. "Beyond just the inconvenience of bad traffic as a result of crashes and slide offs, we have seen far too many people injured or killed for something as simple as not having the correct or safe tires on their vehicle when traveling."

As part of CDOT's effort to build smarter roadways with more informed drivers, in the coming weeks CDOT’s RoadX Program will be deploying a new technology that can automatically detect both tread and tire pressure. This new system will be installed at the Dinosaur Lots in Morrison this winter.

Many people might not realize they have a bald tire. Despite the name, a bald tire is not completely tread free. The groups highlighted a simple test that all drivers can do to check the tread on their tires – the quarter test. To do this, you put a quarter into your tire tread with President Washington’s head facing down. If you can see the top of Washington’s head, you have a bald tire that is not safe for winter driving conditions.

Vehicles using bald tires can also receive a $133 ticket if they drive along I-70 when the Colorado Traction Law is in effect. During this time, if a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment, they could be fined more than $650.

Even if you have a vehicle with adequate tires, CoPIRG and the I-70 Coalition encourage travelers to take advantage of transit options to travel along and around I-70 communities. Travelers should use www.GoI70.com/transit to find information on all the ways to get to and around the mountains, including local transit options, shared vans and shuttles services, and the newly expanded Bustang service, which now provides connections from Denver all the way to Grand Junction via its West Line service. Bustang’s West Line has launched a new route that leaves daily from Denver Union Station at 7:00 am arriving in Frisco at 8:45 am (one-way $12), Vail at 9:20am (one-way $17), and Glenwood Springs at 10:45am (one-way $28).

For information the traction law, the quarter test and CDOT’s winter driving tips check out the CDOT website.

For more information, contact:

Danny Katz – CoPIRG Foundation Director, 608-215-0929, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Margaret Bowes – I-70 Coalition Director, 970-389-4347, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

BUMP ......IT'S WINTER FOLKS
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

10 Jan 2019 10:01 #3 by homeagain
BUMP.......the weekend is coming up........going to the mountains?

13 Jan 2019 07:23 #4 by homeagain
BUMP an EL NINO year means SNOW......are you prepared?

17 Jan 2019 16:57 #5 by Mountain-News-Events
Something to consider:

Why winter tires are worth it
December 20, 2012, updated December 11, 2018

While brand new all-season tires can provide reasonable traction during the winter, their performance is roughly equivalent to half-worn snow tires, says Rastetter. Half-worn all-season tires, on the other hand, are unsuitable for winter driving in snow and on icy roads.

Winter tires gain their advantage not only because they have superior tread patterns that are designed for traction on ice and snow, but because they employ softer rubber compounds to enhance grip. That means when it's cold, whether it's on dry pavement, snow, or slush, it'll outperform an all-season.

Remember: they're not only for snow. They work better anytime it's cold. That's why it's better to think of them as winter tires.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

24 Jan 2019 09:47 #6 by homeagain
BUMP...…...IT'S STILL WINTER:snowfalling

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds