I-70 Re-Opened between Georgetown and Eisenhower Tunnel

05 Mar 2019 10:13 - 05 Mar 2019 18:17 #1 by MountainTownAlerts
Per CDOT at 10:53am: Emergency Closure
I-70 is closed in both directions between Georgetown and the Eisenhower Tunnel due to avalanche control work and snow clean up. A substantial slide is covering all lanes of the highway. Latest reopening estimate 3 to 4pm. U.S. 40 Berthoud Pass is closed as well with latest reopening estimate 3 to 4 pm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Mar 2019 11:56 #2 by MountainTownAlerts
CDOT Verified account @ColoradoDOT 35 minutes ago
UPDATE on closures on I-70 and Berthoud Pass due to avalanche mitigation: Snow has covered some lanes on Berthoud Pass, but we are able to alternate traffic to allow motorists to travel on US 40. Motorists should plan on delays. Clean-up continues.

I-70 remains closed between the Loveland Pass exit and Silverthorne exit due to clean-up efforts after avalanche mitigation. Loveland Pass is still closed. If you are in Summit County, the I-70 detour is HWY 9 to 285. If you are traveling from metro area it is 285 to HWY 9.

Motorists traveling on westbound I-70 before the Eisenhower-Johnson Memorial Tunnels will be turned around at Georgetown. Thank you for your patience as we work to reopen the interstate.
Attachments:

05 Mar 2019 14:06 #3 by MountainTownAlerts
CDOT Verified account @ColoradoDOT 18 minutes ago
UPDATE - 1:30 p.m. Closure of I-70 will remain from Silverthorne to Empire (mm 205 to 232) INTO THE EVENING (est. 6+ hours). There was a significant debris field, with trees and rocks included, which did significant damage to our cable rail in the area.

05 Mar 2019 15:32 #4 by MountainTownAlerts
Matt Kroschel Verified account @Matt_Kroschel 51 minutes ago
UPDATE: @ColoradoDOT plan at Herman Gulch: traffic control will be put in place- “several hours away from that”
Good news: US 40 is reopened as a detour.
• Tenmile Canyon mitigation continues, should be opened back up soon.
bit.ly/2VESziZ

CDOT Verified account @ColoradoDOT 18 minutes ago
Eastbound and westbound I-70 b/w Vail and Frisco is now open. I-70 remains closed at EASTBOUND mile point 205 (Silverthorne).

05 Mar 2019 17:17 #5 by MountainTownAlerts
CSP_Golden 4min ago
HEADING HOME !
Loveland skiers are eastbound on I-70. CMV being released from Silverthorne in stages.

CDOT
UPDATE- 4:30 p.m. Anticipate EB I-70 to open w/ 1 lane of traffic & WB w/ 2 lanes, in the next couple of hrs. Traffic control will be in place due to damaged cable rail. We will be metering commercial vehicles back on to mainline I-70 that have been held in Silverthorne (mm 205)

Commercial motor vehicle detour to CO 9 still in place. We greatly appreciate your patience through this event. We are incredibly thankful no one was injured today.

05 Mar 2019 18:16 #6 by MountainTownAlerts
CSP 12min ago:
I-70 OPEN !!
Both Lanes, Both Directions. Fantastic job by @ColoradoDOT getting the snow and trees cleared out. Travelers, please remain cautious for remaining across the highway between Herman Gulch (mp 218) and Loveland (mp 216).

US 6 Loveland Pass will remain closed. S1

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds