I-70 Rockfall Mitigation near Idaho Springs on 12/18 to Close Hwy from 9a-12p

17 Dec 2019 15:40 #1 by MountainTownAlerts

― I-70 Mountain Corridor Advisory ―

Rockfall blasting to close I-70 near Idaho Springs 9 a.m. to noon on Dec. 18

All I-70 EB traffic will be stopped at the Silverthorne exit beginning at 8:15 a.m.

Motorists are urged to avoid travel during those times

MEDIA AVAILABILITY - There will be a staging area for media in the parking lot of the Colorado Adventure Center, 2697 Stanley Rd., Idaho Springs. Please plan to arrive no later than 8 a.m. on Dec. 18 and confirm if you will be on site. Media will be able to take video of the blast and interview a CDOT representative. This availability is for the media only.

The Colorado Department of Transportation plans rockfall blasting that will close I-70 in both directions near Idaho Springs between the Dumont/Downieville (Exit 234) and Beaver Brook/Floyd Hill (Exit 248) from 9 a.m. to noon on Dec. 18. There will be an additional eastbound I-70 traffic stop at Silverthorne (Exit 205) beginning at 8:15 a.m.

Local traffic will have access to Idaho Springs. Anyone driving across the entire I-70 mountain corridor should plan their travels for earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon, or take an alternate route to avoid this three-hour closure. Motorists should expect significant delays during the closure.

This work needs to be done before installing rock mesh to improve public safety in an area where two rockslides occurred in late November. The blasting and scaling stabilize the rock face. Early snowstorms and moisture have loosened rocks causing the immediate need to conduct rockfall mitigation work.

Travel restrictions (see map below)
  • All westbound traffic will be stopped on I-70 at the Beaver Brook/Floyd Hill (Exit 248) beginning at 9 a.m. and lasting up to noon on Dec. 18. Truckers and all thru traffic will be turned around at this point. Local motorists with valid identification showing Clear Creek County residency will be allowed past this exit to State Highway 103 (downtown Idaho Springs Exit 240).

• All eastbound traffic east of Silverthorne will be turned around on I-70 at the Dumont/Downieville (Exit 234) beginning at 9 a.m.

• All eastbound traffic west of Silverthorne will be turned around on I-70 at Silverthorne (Exit 205) beginning at 8:15 a.m.

• Westbound I-70 is expected to be closed until noon.

• Eastbound I-70 is expected to reopen before the westbound side following the blast, rock scaling and cleanup work.

• Stanley Road will also be closed during the blast and will reopen shortly after the blast.

• Loveland Pass will be closed at A-Basin beginning 8:15 a.m. but is expected to reopen fairly soon after the rock blast.

Alternate routes
CDOT highly advises thru traffic to avoid driving the I-70 mountain corridor during the closure. The alternate route for westbound traffic will take about two hours. This route is C-470 east to US 285 south to CO 9 North, which takes you through Frisco back to I-70 westbound. Motorists headed to Black Hawk or Central City should use US 6 from Golden.

Information Resources
As a result of two rockslides that occurred the week of Nov. 25 just east of Dumont near Mile Point 236, rockfall mitigation work will be done in two locations in December. This work and the related traffic impacts include:

Rock scaling and blasting work near Mile Point 236 (east of Dumont)

CDOT is scheduled to conduct a rock blast in this area on Wednesday, Dec. 18. I-70 will be closed in both directions from 9 a.m. to noon for blasting and cleanup efforts. The Frontage Road (Stanley Road) will also be closed for a short period of time during the blast itself.

I-70 through travelers should plan their trips for earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon on Wednesday, Dec. 18, or plan to take an alternate route to avoid this three-hour closure. Westbound through traffic will be diverted at Floyd Hill (Mile Point 248) and eastbound through traffic at Dumont/Downieville (Mile Point 234). Local traffic will be maintained on either side of the four-mile-long closure of I-70, so anyone headed to Idaho Springs from Denver will still be able to make it that far.

This blasting work is weather-dependent and schedules could change.

Rock scaling work near Mile Point 239 (west Idaho Springs)

Rock scaling work began Wednesday, Dec. 4, and continues each Monday through Thursday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. No scaling work will be done during the holidays.

This work involves pushing loose rocks off the mountain slope above the highway. Vehicles will be stopped for about 20 minutes while this scaling work is done and the roadway cleaned up. The queue of stopped vehicles will then be released before traffic is again stopped and the process of stopping and releasing traffic is repeated.

Drivers in both directions of I-70 should plan for delays.

Click here to watch video of emergency rock scaling work done Friday, Nov. 29, east of Dumont.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Dec 2019 08:27 #2 by MountainTownAlerts
CDOT @ColoradoDOT 5m
I-70 EB: Safety closure between MM 205 and Exit 248 - Beaver Brook; Floyd Hill. Due to rockfall mitigation at Dumont. No access to I-70 within closure area. This includes Loveland and Berthoud Passes. co.c-tr.us/?type=event&id

CSP Golden @CSP_Golden 1h
US 6, US 40 and Colo 103 are NOT alternate routes.

THE alternate route is US 285 into Park County, over Kenosha Pass to Colo 9, north to Breckenridge. Plan on three to four hours.

S1

18 Dec 2019 12:44 #3 by MountainTownAlerts
CDOT @ColoradoDOT 46min ago
I-70 EB: Road open between MM 205 and Exit 248 - Beaver Brook; Floyd Hill. Following rockfall mitigation at Dumont. co.c-tr.us/?type=event&id…

I-70 Westbound remains closed while CDOT cleans up the debris.

18 Dec 2019 13:19 #4 by MountainTownAlerts
Per CSP: @ColoradoDOT aiming to reopen I-70 westbound at around 2:00 pm. Please, DO NOT park on the highway or on the shoulders hoping to wait it out.

ONLY residents of Idaho Springs are being allowed beyond Floyd Hill.

Backups over 2 miles right now.
S1

18 Dec 2019 15:12 #5 by MountainTownAlerts
Per CSP: I-70 westbound has re-opened, heavy traffic backed up (2 miles+) that will take a while to clear out.

CDOT @ColoradoDOT 2m
Rock blasting update: CDOT is preparing to re-open westbound I-70. Rocks and debris have been cleared, guardrail and fencing repaired and pot holes patched from today’s rock blast. There will be continued delays for traffic to clear.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds