Passenger Vehicle Traction Law
"ACCIDENT ALERT" is defined as those times when weather conditions are so severe that State Troopers and Police Officers are unable to respond to the large volume of motor vehicle crashes. Accident Alert is initiated on a jurisdictional and geographical basis, in other words some cities may be on accident alert whereas others may not depending on how the weather conditions are affecting their area.
While accident alert is in effect, Troopers and or Police Officers will only respond if the following circumstances exist:
If the accident does not meet the criteria for a police response, do the following:
- Vehicles are disabled due to damage.
- Accident involves a fatality or an injury requiring medical attention.
- Alcohol or drugs are involved.
- Accident is an alleged hit and run.
- There is damage to public property other than wildlife, i.e. a highway guardrail.
A report can be filed either on-line or at a troop office where the accident occurred.
- The drivers involved are required to exchange information.
- File your accident report online as soon as possible.