I-70 Closure continues through Glenwood Canyon, Re-Opening Aug 14th

02 Aug 2021 10:10 #1 by MountainTownAlerts
TRAVEL ALERT | ROAD CLOSURE - I-70 Glenwood Canyon

(8/01) - I-70 through Glenwood Canyon will continue to be closed due to "extreme damage" from the latest round of heavy rain and flooding Saturday night (7/31); this assessment was provided by senior operations supervisors and engineering staff who described damage to the viaduct structure unlike anything they had seen before. CDOT crews are assessing damage and continue to clear debris and mudflow when weather conditions are safe.

Detour route around I-70 Glenwood Canyon:

CDOT strongly asks that motorists use the recommended northern alternate route via I-70 - CO 9 - US 40 - CO 13. Westbound motorists from the Denver metro area should exit I-70 at Exit 205 (Silverthorne) and travel north on Colorado Highway 9 towards Kremmling. Travelers will continue west on US Highway 40 and then south on CO 13 to complete the alternate route and return to westbound I-70 at Rifle (Exit 90). Eastbound travelers can detour using the same route in reverse.

For trucks planning to travel through Colorado, CDOT recommends they take I-80 through Wyoming.

Check out COtrip.org for the latest status on road conditions.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2021 12:00 #2 by MountainTownAlerts
Governor Polis Provides Update on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon with CDOT, CSP, and CDPS

Glenwood Canyon Mudslides Will Close I-70 For Days, If Not Weeks
By Nathaniel Minor, CPR | August 2, 2021

Drone Video Shows Why I-70 in Glenwood Canyon Is a Disaster
Michael Roberts, Westword | August 3, 2021

From Jackie White in our I-70 Traveler Group:

Just talked to a client of mine that's an engineer on the I70 Glenwood Springs mudslide mess. He said he is trying to get a meeting scheduled with CDOT for a walk through evaluation with his team and it's only tentatively scheduled for 8/13. He said his team works 24/7 and can get out there immediately, but that's the soonest his engineers can meet with CDOT. The debris field is 30 feet tall and they are working on removing boulders the size of school buses. I wouldn't expect I70 to be open any time soon.

11 Aug 2021 08:55 #3 by Mountain-News-Events
I-70 Through Glenwood Canyon Will Reopen In ‘Days, Not Weeks’
By Nathaniel Minor, Colorado Public Radio
August 10, 2021

Interstate 70 through Glenwood Canyon will be partially open within “days, not weeks,” Colorado Department of Transportation Executive Director Shoshana Lew said Tuesday afternoon.

CDOT hopes to have one lane open in each direction soon and the full highway open by Thanksgiving.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

11 Aug 2021 12:15 #4 by MountainTownAlerts
Governor Polis, CDOT Announce Glenwood Canyon to Reopen on Saturday Afternoon
August 11, 2021 - Northwestern Colorado

GLENWOOD SPRINGS - Governor Polis and Colorado Department of Transportation Executive Director Shoshana Lew observed the extensive damage and around the clock repair and debris clearing efforts performed by CDOT. Governor Polis and Director Lew announced that Glenwood Canyon would reopen Saturday afternoon.

“Clearing and ultimately re-opening the I-70 corridor through Glenwood Springs is our top transportation priority. This corridor plays a vital role in our state’s economy and for many Coloradans traveling to get to work, school, and homes along the western slope. CDOT and State Emergency Operations have made tremendous progress in cleaning up and removing tons of mud and debris that have completely blocked off access to this roadway,” said Governor Polis. “As the state recovers from this incident and reopens this corridor Saturday afternoon, we will continue to need strong federal partners in the Biden administration and our federal delegation.”

Governor Jared Polis visited the I-70 corridor in Glenwood Canyon to survey the damage caused by devastating mudslides in the surrounding area as well as view progress made to clean up and reopen the canyon route.

Governor Polis was joined by Shoshana Lew, Director of the Colorado Department of Transportation, and state officials. The Governor thanks the state’s Public Safety team, the federal delegation, including Senators Hickenlooper and Bennet as well as partners at the US Department of Transportation and Federal Highways for their efforts.

There is extensive work to be accomplished over the next four days that includes completing material removal at westbound Milepost 123.5 and the state commends Xcel for speeding up the extensive work they need to accomplish to hit this timeline.

Since mudslides closed I-70 in Glenwood Canyon, Governor Polis has taken immediate action to provide additional resources to reopen the canyon and help mitigate future disasters. Governor Polis issued two state disaster declarations that authorized the use of the Colorado National Guard for traffic control, debris management, and unarmed law enforcement support.

Additionally, Governor Polis requested federal funds to assist with the recovery efforts, which the Federal Highway Administration approved releasing $11.6 million to Colorado one day after the Polis administration made the request.

CDOT crews have removed thousands of tons of debris from the canyon.

The Governor’s disaster declaration also activates the State’s Emergency Operations Plan and directs State agencies to coordinate their response while also providing additional funds to respond to the damage and repairs needed in areas affected by burn scar, flooding and slides.

Coloradans can find the latest updates and information on alternative routes at www.codot.gov/travel/glenwoodcanyon .

www.codot.gov/news/2021/august-2021/gove...ood-saturday-opening

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds