Christmas (and other) cheer for needy families

26 Jun 2010 11:05 #11 by cydl

The Viking wrote:

cydl wrote: ...shouldn't have hit 'submit' yet! ;-)

I don't get to Bailey much...it's a bit off the beaten path for me. But I'll be happy to do whatever on this end!

Not sure why you were just a lurker on the other site but I am sure glad you are on here. This is a great idea!

Well, thanks. I'd love to take credit for it, but it wasn't my idea! Sunshine Girl had the original idea. And pound dog mom had the idea about the tree (which I think is great!). I just started the thread over here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jun 2010 11:05 #12 by cydl

pound dog mom wrote: Thats why I was thinking maybe two trees to cover each end of our community - thoughts?

Yes - I agree! Anyone out there on the Bailey end of the highway?

26 Jun 2010 11:06 #13 by cydl

Hoot Owl wrote: There Sheriiffs substation in Bailey usually has a tree as well as King Soopers in Conifer.

do they already have organized efforts?

26 Jun 2010 11:16 #14 by Hoot Owl

cydl wrote:

Hoot Owl wrote: The Sheriiffs substation in Bailey usually has a tree, as well as King Soopers in Conifer.

do they already have organized efforts?

I believe so, but I just make the drop offs, so I dont know. They may be affiliated with Mountain Resource and Mountain Peace

26 Jun 2010 11:23 #15 by cydl
Hmmm...maybe we should check w/them before we duplicate efforts. I'll volunteer to stop at King Soopers and talk to them. I know a few folks there. I'll report back here with the answer no later than next weekend.

26 Jun 2010 12:02 - 26 Jun 2010 12:07 #16 by Sunshine Girl
Franz and I have been talking about this since last Christmas - we're that excited! :biggrin:

Ok, here is one of the things we want to do. Right now we have a storage unit in Aspen Park that needs to be cleaned out. I want to use that to "house" items that we collect well before the holiday season. Then we can have a ton of stuff not taking up space in our homes and it can all be in one area. I would also "catalog" it all so we know what we have and then put it on a spread sheet.

I have already started collecting a small amount of goodies. These are mostly toys, etc. that I find on sale.

I LOVE the idea of wish trees. We always did this in AZ and love that idea. We had also talked about getting local business up here to donate and it seems even more perfect with this site here now too. Again 285Bound can be a pioneer in this area instead of sites who don't want to "get involved." (not directed at anyone, but a lot of entities feel that way). Sad.

Gently used items are wonderful too.

I want kids to have their "most wished for items" but also other things that will really make them feel like their is a Santa and not just one or two things. That is why the storage unit is a good idea. We won't know the special items until the last minute so to speak, but we can be collecting other gifts even now.

When we all helped a family last year people even donated food for their Christmas dinner and items for the mom and dad (and even hay for their horses). Their oldest son was there and helping to bring the bags and bags of toys in. I remember when we left from delivering everything on the 24th crying because the mom and son were in total disbelief and so overwhelmed. This all started a few days before Christmas because of one person's generosity with a bike available at a thrift store. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Six months later and look at all the people who want to be part of something like this. It really warms my heart. We have enough time, great ideas, and amazing folks to make THIS Christmas maybe one of the best ever in our community. :woo hoo:

Let's not forget the wonderful efforts of the MRC and the huge bash they put on for kids in need every year. I love them! :heart: Kudos to you guys! :biggrin:

You know WE'RE IN so just keep on bringing the ideas and let's go!

Keep your feelers out for someone to be Santa as well. We lost ours last year. :Crying: RIP Taxiguy. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I volunteer to talk to the MRC today and see if they would let us do something there as well. It might be conflicting because of there party, but I'll try.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 Jun 2010 12:02 #17 by Sunshine Girl
Franz and I have been talking about this since last Christmas - we're that excited! :biggrin:

Ok, here is one of the things we want to do. Right now we have a storage unit in Aspen Park that needs to be cleaned out. I want to use that to "house" items that we collect well before the holiday season. Then we can have a ton of stuff not taking up space in our homes and it can all be in one area. I would also "catalog" it all so we know what we have and then put it on a spread sheet.

I have already started collecting a small amount of goodies. These are mostly toys, etc. that I find on sale.

I LOVE the idea of wish trees. We always did this in AZ and love that idea. We had also talked about getting local business up here to donate and it seems even more perfect with this site here now too. Again 285Bound can be a pioneer in this area instead of sites who don't want to "get involved." (not directed at anyone, but a lot of entities feel that way). Sad.

Gently used items are wonderful too.

I want kids to have their "most wished for items" but also other things that will really make them feel like there is a Santa and not just one or two things. That is why the storage unit is a good idea. We won't know the special items until the last minute so to speak, but we can be collecting other gifts even now.

When we all helped a family last year people even donated food for their Christmas dinner and items for the mom and dad (and even hay for their horses). Their oldest son was there and helping to bring the bags and bags of toys in. I remember when we left from delivering everything on the 24th crying because the mom and son were in total disbelief and so overwhelmed. This all started a few days before Christmas because of one person's generosity with a bike available at a thrift store. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Six months later and look at all the people who want to be part of something like this. It really warms my heart. We have enough time, great ideas, and amazing folks to make THIS Christmas maybe one of the best ever in our community. :woo hoo:

Let's not forget the wonderful efforts of the MRC and the huge bash they put on for kids in need every year. I love them! :heart: Kudos to you guys! :biggrin:

You know WE'RE IN so just keep on bringing the ideas and let's go!

Keep your feelers out for someone to be Santa as well. We lost ours last year. :Crying: RIP Taxiguy. :heart: :heart: :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 Jun 2010 13:01 #18 by cydl
Fantastic!!! The storage area is a great idea. I for one don't have a lot of spare room in the house and would love to be able to stash stuff off-site. Keeping track is a great idea, too.

I *may* have an idea for a Santa....

26 Jun 2010 18:28 #19 by Sunshine Girl

cydl wrote: Fantastic!!! The storage area is a great idea. I for one don't have a lot of spare room in the house and would love to be able to stash stuff off-site. Keeping track is a great idea, too.

I *may* have an idea for a Santa....

Sounds great cdyl!

04 Jul 2010 13:26 #20 by cydl
so here's the report back on the King Soopers tree that I promised:

The gifts collected from the tree go to the Mountain Resource Center. All donations are dropped off at Kings, and Kings stores them.

Given that, we may have some duplication of effort if we ask other area businesses to put up trees. That doesn't mean, I guess, that we couldn't support more than those two trees, but I also wouldn't want to get too many things going on out there and induce "holiday donation burn-out".

SG, how's your storage area coming along?

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds