Christmas (and other) cheer for needy families

25 Jun 2010 08:15 #1 by cydl
...a thread begun to coordinate helping needy families in the community.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jun 2010 09:09 #2 by pound dog mom
Can we start posting some of the items that we think the families will need? This way when we shop, we can start picking items up and put the items aside and it will be less of a crunch as we get closer. Just a thought.

I am fairly new to this area, do we have something like this? In the Yosemite area (Wawona, Fish Camp, Oakhurst) we had a children's wish tree at the local country store and the kids would make their paper stars, paper chains or little gift envelopes, and write their name and a wish gift (usually it was coats, shoes, or a gift for their siblings; it was so amazing). The community would go to the store and be able to take off as many stars, chains, envelopes etc and then return the packages to the store where they would be handed out by Santa and the volunteers closer to the holidays.

25 Jun 2010 09:23 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Christmas (and other) cheer for needy families
I have alot of brand new women's clothing I would be glad to donate.

I donated a man's leather jacket (new) a few years ago to a charity that had a store to pick out gifts for parents. But either way, I can donate some to other charities there too.

Nice thread and always good to start early.

26 Jun 2010 08:13 #4 by cydl

pound dog mom wrote: Can we start posting some of the items that we think the families will need? This way when we shop, we can start picking items up and put the items aside and it will be less of a crunch as we get closer. Just a thought.

I am fairly new to this area, do we have something like this? In the Yosemite area (Wawona, Fish Camp, Oakhurst) we had a children's wish tree at the local country store and the kids would make their paper stars, paper chains or little gift envelopes, and write their name and a wish gift (usually it was coats, shoes, or a gift for their siblings; it was so amazing). The community would go to the store and be able to take off as many stars, chains, envelopes etc and then return the packages to the store where they would be handed out by Santa and the volunteers closer to the holidays.

Those are great ideas! I especially like the wish tree. I wonder if any of the local businesses would be willing to do that?

We don't have kids (we have cats!), so I go thru this every year...can some folk who have kids give me a clue what the hot toys are this year? Maybe too early for that - but when the time comes closer that would sure be a help.

26 Jun 2010 08:23 #5 by pound dog mom
Maybe the MRC Thrift Store could put up a wish tree for the Conifer/Aspen Park etc areas. And then perhaps we could find another location out in Pine/Bailey for a 2nd wish tree.

I could drop in the MRC Thrift Store and ask them if they would put up a BIG tree for the community - I would think that we would want to get it up early, say the beginning of November (that way we have time to shop, wrap, and get the packages back). We could start promoting it in October so the kids could start their stars, chains, and envelope decorations. Maybe we could even start gathering supplies and have a box next to the tree so they could have some colored paper, glitter, glue, fun stuff to play with and make the decorations. Thoughts?

26 Jun 2010 09:14 #6 by cydl
I think that would be great! I've only been to the MRC store once - to drop off some furniture. So I don't know the folks there too well. But I go past there on a regular basis and would be willing to make some flyers and check in with them from time to time or whatever if they're willing to put up a tree.

26 Jun 2010 09:17 #7 by cydl
...shouldn't have hit 'submit' yet! ;-)

I don't get to Bailey much...it's a bit off the beaten path for me. But I'll be happy to do whatever on this end!

26 Jun 2010 09:52 #8 by The Viking

cydl wrote: ...shouldn't have hit 'submit' yet! ;-)

I don't get to Bailey much...it's a bit off the beaten path for me. But I'll be happy to do whatever on this end!

Not sure why you were just a lurker on the other site but I am sure glad you are on here. This is a great idea!

26 Jun 2010 10:25 #9 by pound dog mom
Thats why I was thinking maybe two trees to cover each end of our community - thoughts?

26 Jun 2010 10:44 #10 by Hoot Owl
There Sheriiffs substation in Bailey usually has a tree as well as King Soopers in Conifer.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds