Project Night Night Bags

26 Jun 2010 13:44 #1 by Local_Historian
Blame Cyndl for me bringing this up - I broached it in the other forum, and pretty well got shut down before I started.

There is an organization out in California that started this - it's a sturdy canvas tote bag given to children who go into women's or homeless shelters. In the bag is a stuffed animal, a book, and a small blanket - around baby or lap sized. the child gets to keep this bag.

I would like to get this going up here for Mountain Peace Shelter. The police and rescue for the area already have quilts they give to victims to keep, which I think is lovely. Gunnison county has a trove of stuffed animals they give to children who need an ambulance or have fire truck show up, or even for emergency room visits. (My daughter still has hers from when the dog bit her face when she was 6.)

The bags are intended for children to age 12.

Here's the link: http://www.projectnightnight.org/index.html

we can start a local group, we just have to fill out the paperwork and buy the bags - they are $3.50 each. If we each bought a bag, and then filled it by a certain time, it is more than likely in everyone's budget.

So, look it over, tell me what you think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jun 2010 14:23 #2 by pound dog mom
If we stuff our own bags below is a link to a company I have used in the past. If you place a large order (i.e. a gross; 144 pieces) they usually can really knock the prices down.

Here is an idea for a stuffed toy and he has a blanket in the set. List price is $9.99 (single piece)

[url]
File Attachment:

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us:zocqnowf]ImageShack.us[/url][/url]

I bet we could approach the local thrift stores to save very gently used children's books for us and maybe even Mountain Books could donate a few to the project.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/

26 Jun 2010 14:27 #3 by Local_Historian
Yep yep. That's a thought.

And I crochet blankets - I have two tucked in a drawer right now - and make toys - there's about 5 of those in the drawer.
Plus my kids went through their stuff, so I have a good stack of gently used books.

I know there's lots of crafters up here. I think this would be nice to do for our local kids.

26 Jun 2010 15:06 #4 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic Project Night Night Bags
I just bought 10 totes. If anyone wants one, pm me. I crochet toys, but I don't have any on hand right now - better get to work!

26 Jun 2010 22:32 #5 by Local_Historian
wow - you jumped right on it!

I'll get one from you mid week, when I can put my paycheck in the bank.

27 Jun 2010 09:05 #6 by Sunshine Girl
Sent you a pm cydl. This is a great idea LH. I'm in and I can't wait to get our bags! :woo hoo:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

06 Jul 2010 16:30 #7 by cydl
Hey guys - the totes came in today. I want to hold onto three, but the rest (seven) are up for grabs. Give me a ping to get them!

06 Jul 2010 19:32 #8 by Sunshine Girl

cydl wrote: Hey guys - the totes came in today. I want to hold onto three, but the rest (seven) are up for grabs. Give me a ping to get them!

I can meet you later this week cydl to get our three. The kids are going to have a great time filling these. Thank you!

Question: When we get our bags filled what do we do? Anyone up for coming over to our house and having a get together filling the bags?

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

07 Jul 2010 17:08 #9 by cydl
I'm going to meet w/JMC at the King Soopers in Aspen Park Saturday morning at 8:30 - right in front of the entrance. If you're out and about and that works, stop on by, SG. Look for the dumpy old broad with the totes. <g>

This is really Local Historian's project - I didn't mean to steal his fire, just jumped in to get the first order of totes going. I think he has a contact w/a shelter that he'd like to work with...

09 Jul 2010 16:21 #10 by cydl
Just a reminder...tomorrow. 8:30 AM. Front of King Soopers in Aspen Park. Tote Bags!!! See ya then!

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds