"What America means to me"

10 Mar 2012 19:50 - 12 Mar 2012 22:35 #1 by Blazer Bob
was the theme of VFW essay contest "The Patriots Pen" youth essay for 6-8'th grade. I am proud to announce that the state winner is Emily Wallbank who attends Fitzsimmons Middle School and is our granddaughter. She also placed 18'th at the National competition.

:fwave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2012 20:01 #2 by ScienceChic
Congrats neptune - that's awesome! Can you get a copy of her essay and post it here - I'd love to read it!

http://www.vfw.org/Community/Patriot-s-Pen/

18th Place - Emily Wallbank, an 8th grade student, sponsored by VFW Post 8661 and Ladies Auxiliary, Conifer, Colorado will receive the $1,000 Silver Spring Memorial Post 2562, (Dept. of Maryland) U.S. Savings Bond.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Mar 2012 20:11 #3 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: Congrats neptune - that's awesome! Can you get a copy of her essay and post it here - I'd love to read it!

http://www.vfw.org/Community/Patriot-s-Pen/

18th Place - Emily Wallbank, an 8th grade student, sponsored by VFW Post 8661 and Ladies Auxiliary, Conifer, Colorado will receive the $1,000 Silver Spring Memorial Post 2562, (Dept. of Maryland) U.S. Savings Bond.

Thanks, I am hopping the State VFW organization will post it. If they don't I will try recruit a typist.

10 Mar 2012 20:21 #4 by otisptoadwater
Congratulations to your granddaughter, her parents and you and Mrs. Neptune, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

11 Mar 2012 21:58 #5 by Blazer Bob
http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 25#1348525

Are You Proud of Your Country?
By Emily Wallbank

America. The name rolls off your tongue with a sense of glory, echoes in your ears with the feeling of freedom and leaves behind a brilliant taste, pride. I am proud of our nation for the rights it gives its people, for the opportunities it provides and for the justice the U.S. serves. Our country was built on a solid made from the firm belief that there could be a place where people could live freely; pursue the sort of life they wanted without being told they could not and where a person could live equally amongst others. I am proud of my country.
America is far from a utopia. There are things in our government and in our lifestyles that some people are dying to change. But the great thing about our country is that those who want to cause change can! The U.S. is governed by the people for the people and we the public can influence what the government does and how it does it. For this, I am proud. So many other countries are controlled by rulers who don’t care about the general public, who don’t strive to make where they live the place people actually want to live. Thomas Jefferson once said, “The sheep are happier of themselves, then under the care of the wolves.” This means, I believe, that people are happiest when they are able to govern themselves rather than when they are controlled by a higher, superior power.
The United States is a place where many people go to find new, promising opportunities as well as to extend their rights and personal freedoms. I am so proud to say that I live in a country where females, males and people of all ethnicities as well as cultures can coexist peacefully and equally. We have many rights as Americans, as well as countless opportunities to exceed expectations and to excel. We have freedom of religion, speech and press as well as incredible educational and business opportunities. Truly, we are blessed to live in such a grand country.
America, land of opportunity and home of the brave, is a prideful and fortunate country to say the absolute least. I love our nation for all that it has done for the people of the world, those in need and those seeking a new, brighter future. I am proud of my country.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds