Mine instability postpones body recovery - The Flume

12 Mar 2012 16:57 #1 by Flume Reporter
Authorities are postponing the recovery of the body found in the Ajax Mine near Alma Saturday because of mine instability, said Park County Coroner David Kintz Jr.
The body is believed to be Kevin Lawrence, 52, who lived in Alma and Leadville, said Kintz.
To read the story, visit [url=http://www.theflume.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.theflume.com[/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Mar 2012 17:15 #2 by ScienceChic

Park County Sheriff’s Office
Sheriff Fred Wegener
P.O. Box 604
Fairplay, Colorado 80440
719-836-2494

Press Release
Press Release-update Ajax Mine Alma Colorado. March 12, 2012

This morning Sheriff Fred Wegener met with Park County Coroner David Kintz Jr, Family members, and the Front Range Mine Rescue Team, to discuss mine safety issues at the Ajax Mine, and how those issues would affect the recovery efforts for the body of , who we believe to be Alma resident Kevin Lawrence.

Based on the consensus and recommendations of mine safety experts, Sheriff Fred Wegener has postponed recovery efforts and issued an order that no one is allowed to enter the mine. “The mine is unstable and would pose a significant danger to anyone entering”, said Wegener. The Mine Safety and Health Administration has issued a similar order.

County officials are consulting with family members, mine engineers, and will continue to examine all their options for a recovery.

Contact Information
Undersheriff Monte Gore
Office 719-836-4102

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds