John-Michael Keyes calls for ouster of Fitzsimmons principal

13 Apr 2013 13:26 #1 by Flume editor
At the regular meeting of the Platte Canyon School District board of education on April 8, John-Michael Keyes, husband of school board director Ellen Stoddard-Keyes, called for the termination of Fitzsimmons Middle School principal Rim Watson. Details in this week's Flume.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Apr 2013 17:20 #2 by FOS
After reading all the articles and letters regarding this situation, I do see a bully here.....but it isn't Mr Watson. People shouldn't throw their weight around a community that way.
With all due respect Mr Keyes.....Shame on you.

13 Apr 2013 17:27 #3 by FOS
Thank you for providing an easy to use link to letters and recordings. That is an outstanding addition to The Flume.

14 Apr 2013 09:38 #4 by Mtn Gramma

frogger wrote: After reading all the articles and letters regarding this situation, I do see a bully here.....but it isn't Mr Watson. People shouldn't throw their weight around a community that way.
With all due respect Mr Keyes.....Shame on you.

I agree.

14 Apr 2013 15:36 #5 by Hoot Owl
I dont get it. When is the last time you grabbed someone by the ankle? We need video!!!!!

Walpole said in his email that no complaint was filed with the district regarding the matter that was investigated by the sheriff’s department. That was an alleged assault that parent Wendy Gruchow said had occurred against her by Watson at a school accountability meeting on March 5. In his letter that he read, Keyes said that “gripping someone’s ankle firmly enough to bruise goes so far past inappropriate that it demands investigation.”

14 Apr 2013 16:40 - 14 Apr 2013 17:58 #6 by FOS

That was an alleged assault that parent Wendy Gruchow said had occurred against her by Watson at a school accountability meeting on March 5. In his letter that he read, Keyes said that “gripping someone’s ankle firmly enough to bruise goes so far past inappropriate that it demands investigation.”

Yet a witness sitting right there stated something completely different.

But Bailey resident John Van Doren, a member of the school accountability committee, told The Flume that he was sitting to the right of Watson during the meeting and that Gruchow was sitting on the other side of Watson.

“As we were having discussions, he just reached over and lightly touched her as part of a conversation,” said Van Doren. “She had an emotional reaction to that.” (See the March 15 Flume.)

The Park County Sheriff’s Office decided that no charges would be pursued in connection with the alleged assault, and Watson was allowed to return from the administrative leave.

How does someone grab an individuals ankle while sitting at a meeting and others not notice?
I am just trying to get a visual of that in my head.

Keyes said at the school board meeting that since his wife joined the school board, he has fielded calls from employees and he feels that Watson is a bully in the workplace.

Yet....there is this exchange after the meeting....

After the April 8 school board meeting, when Watson walked by Keyes, he said one word, “Sir.” And as Watson kept walking, Keyes said loudly to Watson that he needed to leave.

Who is the bully here.

A couple of questions I have....

What is the relationship between the Keyes and Ms. Gruchow?

Why is Mr. Keyes fielding questions from employees of the school district?
Isn't that somehow against district rules given he has no authority over personnel?

What was the process in which this principal was hired and did the Keyes have a different preference?

Mr Keyes show at the school board raises far more questions for me.
Perhaps Mrs. Keyes should step down.

Source: http://www.theflume.com/news/first_five ... 0f31a.html

14 Apr 2013 17:18 #7 by archer
Did I miss the part where Mrs Keyes did anything wrong, other than being married to Mr Keyes, that would be a reason she should step down?

14 Apr 2013 17:35 #8 by FOS
I am personally uncomfortable with the husband of a school board member receiving sensitive information and sharing it publicly.

Keyes said at the school board meeting that since his wife joined the school board, he has fielded calls from employees and he feels that Watson is a bully in the workplace.

He is not on the School Board. His wife is. Why is he having conversations with employees about complaints about this principle. Why is he involved at all?
He has no authority over any district employee and I personally think that there is more to this story than we have read so far.
He has no reason to "bully" the FMS principle.

After the April 8 school board meeting, when Watson walked by Keyes, he said one word, “Sir.” And as Watson kept walking, Keyes said loudly to Watson that he needed to leave.

Especially given the fact that a police investigation was done and no evidence was found that the principle did anything wrong.

You might have missed a few things there.

14 Apr 2013 19:58 #9 by deltamrey
False reporting to a Deputy and defamation seem to be in play......both serious issues. We will see how it goes.

17 Apr 2013 20:19 #10 by Pony Soldier
A couple of thoughts on this. I've heard many complaints about Mr. Watson since his honeymoon period ended and his employees got to know him. I also can understand why those employees would call a school board member who might listen as opposed to Dr. "Circle the Wagons" Walpole. He will do anything to anybody to keep an accusation from being confirmed or an employee disciplined for it. Walpole buries any complaint in red tape and then says the policies weren't followed. I tend to back Mr. Keyes point of view on this but think that Walpole needs to be added to the firing list.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds