Dropout rates slide in county school districts

01 Feb 2014 09:05 #1 by Flume editor
The school dropout rate in the 2012-2013 school year fell to 0.7 percent from 1.7 percent in the 2011-2012 school year in the Bailey-based Platte Canyon School District, while the dropout rate dipped to 1.7 percent from 2.6 percent for the Fairplay-based Re-2 School District during that time, new state figures show. Details in this week's Flume.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Feb 2014 11:52 #2 by Arlen
That is very nearly the same dropout rate back in the early 60s whenever I was in high school. Currently the dropout rate in Denver Public Schools is shocking! 43.9%
No wonder we have such a burdensome welfare state.

03 Feb 2014 20:15 #3 by pineinthegrass

Arlen wrote: That is very nearly the same dropout rate back in the early 60s whenever I was in high school. Currently the dropout rate in Denver Public Schools is shocking! 43.9%

No link?

Looks like your number is closer to the "on time" graduation rate. That is not a dropout rate since they eventually graduate. Is that different from the 60s too? Well, I see they changed the way they report it, but the important thing is if they eventually graduate or not.

The dropout rate is closer to 6%.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/01/denver_public_schools_graduation_rate_up.php

03 Feb 2014 21:59 #4 by Blazer Bob

pineinthegrass wrote:

Arlen wrote: That is very nearly the same dropout rate back in the early 60s whenever I was in high school. Currently the dropout rate in Denver Public Schools is shocking! 43.9%

No link?

Looks like your number is closer to the "on time" graduation rate. That is not a dropout rate since they eventually graduate. Is that different from the 60s too? Well, I see they changed the way they report it, but the important thing is if they eventually graduate or not.

The dropout rate is closer to 6%.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/01/denver_public_schools_graduation_rate_up.php

Just working form memory, I would say with a few exceptions mostly for extended illness if you did not graduate "on time" you did not graduate. At least that is how it was in my blue collar high school.

04 Feb 2014 06:51 #5 by FredHayek
The problem with the DPS dropout rate is it underreports dropouts. If the kid says he is transferring but never does, he is taken off the books and his former high school doesn't check up on him.
Do you really believe only 6% of Denver residents don't have an high school diploma? There are more GED's than that.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds