Conifer Woodcarver found his niche early on - High Timber Times

10 Jan 2015 11:24 #1 by CHSM
We'd like to share a story about one of our valued Conifer Historical Society members. You can find his work at our Little White Schoolhouse!

George Hummel’s story of how he got started in woodworking as a boy in Arizona some 70 years ago has the charm and cadence of a tall tale.

But the 82-year-old Conifer resident told the story in his shop, surrounded by decades of his work. It’s clear that once Hummel started whittling, he just never stopped.

Hummel, a member of the Conifer Historical Society and Museum and a self-described history buff, has donated dozens of pieces to the organization, and many are on display at the Little White Schoolhouse. One set of shelves at the historic building is covered in replica historical ships Hummel painstakingly crafted by hand: an Egyptian barge, a Greek trireme, ships used by Barbary pirates, and the vessels used by Polynesian groups for exploration, perhaps even a pre-Columbian landing in the Americas.

“I love history, read about every history book I could get,” Hummel said. He pointed to photos of the fleet that he keeps in his workshop and to the intricate stitching on the side of the model. “They didn’t have metal, so they had to sew this all together. … I had to stitch all this.”

Hummel’s work has also been covering the gift shop table at the schoolhouse for the past month: ornaments, “Secret Santas” (which swing open on the bottom to reveal a hidden compartment), jewelry boxes and more. He’s donated work to Conifer Newcomers & Neighbors for fund-raising auctions, and to other nonprofits and churches in the area.

www.hightimbertimes.com/content/woodcarv...ound-his-niche-early

The Mission of the Conifer Historical Society and Museum is to share the region’s legacy by collecting, preserving and exhibiting historical and cultural materials.

303-396-5975

Committee and Board Meetings
4th Tuesday of Odd Numbered Months (January, March, May, July, September, November). Volunteers, Members, Guests and the Public are welcome!

Become a member & save!!
www.coniferhistoricalsociety.org/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds