Jefferson County Public Library to seek tax increase in November vote

20 Aug 2015 15:57 - 20 Aug 2015 15:57 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Jefferson County Public Library to seek tax increase in November vote
Voters to decide on 1 mill increase or an average of $1.95 monthly more per home
By Joe Vaccarelli, YourHub Reporter
Posted: 08/19/2015

Jefferson County voters will decide in November on whether or not to allow a tax increase to support the county's library system.

The Jefferson County Public Library Board of Trustees voted Tuesday night to place a mill levy question on the ballot to raise taxes by one mill, an increase of $1.95 per month for an average Jeffco home.

"With ongoing advances in information and communication technology, it has become clear to us that we can no longer deliver 21st century library services on a 20th century budget." library board of trustees chairman Ray Elliott said in a statement.

Read more here: www.denverpost.com/southjeffco/ci_286661...ax-increase-november

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Sep 2015 18:09 #2 by Mountain-News-Events
A follow-up to the previous story:

Jeffco Library officials say tax increase needed now more than ever
Jeffco libraries seeking first tax increase since 1986. Measure failed in 2000
By Joe Vaccarelli, YourHub Reporter
Posted: 09/03/2015

It's been 15 years since the Jefferson County Public Library sought the public's vote on a tax increase, and 29 years since one passed, but now library staff and the board of trustees say they need money more than ever as the library struggles to keep up with its contemporaries.

"It's time to deliver 21st century services. We can't do that on a 20th century budget," board of trustees member Brian DeLaet said. "The people of Jeffco have a real gem in the libraries, but I think it's time for us to polish that gem and make it even more valuable."

Jeffco residents will vote on a mill levy increase in the November election that would add approximately $8 million to the library's annual budget if it passes.

If the tax increase of 1 mill passes, it will add $1.95 per month on top of what residents typically pay in a normal Jeffco home, or 67 cents per $100,000 of value.

Read more here: www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28739643/jeff...d-now-more-than-ever

To learn more, see their website , go to JCPL's Vote Yes Facebook Page and/or their Twitter account, @YES4JCPL .

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

15 Sep 2015 06:05 - 15 Sep 2015 06:06 #3 by RenegadeCJ
I've got a better idea. How about the libraries not provide DVD movies of popular movies. Why is a taxpayer funded facility competing with Redbox, Netflix, Hulu, etc. I'm fine with providing movies after they are a few years old, and cheap, in addition to educational DVD's.

They could easily save as much $$ as they are asking for in the tax increase.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds