This week's free content from The Flume

05 Nov 2016 06:45 #1 by Flume editor
From the desk of the editor
The American with Disabilities Act is helpful, but abused

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 helped create access to hundreds of places and activities that were at one time off limits to people with disabilities. Part of the act requires that businesses offer reasonable accommodations to both disabled employees and the general public.

There is no doubt in my mind that this act has opened up a new frontier for those people who in the past, had to sit on the sidelines while their able friends and companions enjoyed their unlimited mobility.

I’ve personally seen how this act has spread its influence to other countries that have enacted similar legislation, where now many historical monuments and sites are accessible to almost anyone.

You know that a big “but” is coming

But, it has opened the door to frivolous lawsuits and abuse of our legal system, to the detriment of good-hearted merchants who have strived to apply ADA rules and guidance to their places of business.

www.theflume.com/free_content/article_e6...24-9799388ba246.html

Creepy clown sightings in Colorado

To some people, all clowns are scary. Jay Hutcheson, Hartsel Fire Protection District chief, when asked if he had received any calls about creepy clowns said, “No, but I’m afraid of clowns.”

Nancy Comer, town administrator of Alma, said that there have been no reports of scary clown sightings in Alma.

In Park County, there has been one sighting of a wayward clown, in the Town of Fairplay.

“We’ve had nothing in Park County,” Sheriff Fred Wegener said. “The town had something and we backed them up. It was someone in Fiarplay running around in a clown mask.”

www.theflume.com/free_content/article_79...ba-6f55dbb0d599.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds