Former Colorado House speaker who donated land to Staunton State Park dies at 99

12 Feb 2021 18:11 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Former Colorado House speaker who donated land to Staunton State Park dies at 99
Allen Dines served as a Democratic state lawmaker for 18 years
By Saja Hindi | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: February 8, 2021

The credit didn’t matter to Allen Dines — he just wanted to get the work done. And he was willing to work with anyone.

That’s how colleagues, friends and family describe the former Democratic Colorado House speaker from Denver, who died at in-home hospice Dec. 17 in Pennsylvania at the age of 99.

“The picture that I have of him is someone who respected anyone’s point of view whether he shared it or not,” Dines’ daughter, Lucy Delsol, said. “I think in general that’s something that’s seriously lacking (nowadays).”

Yet much of his legacy is tied to the work he did outside the Capitol, including donating his 80-acre ranch in 2015 to expand Staunton State Park. His property was located in the southeastern section of the park, about six miles west of Conifer. It was the last private holding surrounded by the park, so the donation helped connect the sections for people and wildlife.

“For him to turn that property over to the state and donate it to us is a huge benefit to the people of Colorado and certainly the state park,” Staunton State Park manager Zach Taylor said.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Feb 2021 15:07 #2 by FredHayek

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds