Save the Date! Virtual Foothills Town Hall Meeting on March 27th

02 Mar 2021 17:50 #1 by ldahlkemper
Foothills Town Hall (virtual)
Commissioners Dahlkemper & Kerr, Sen. Story & Rep. Cutter
Saturday, March 27
9-10:30 a.m.
Details soon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2021 16:28 - 26 Mar 2021 19:08 #2 by ldahlkemper
Our next Jeffco Foothills Community Town Hall is Saturday, March 27 from 9-10:30 a.m. I want to personally invite you to join Senator Story, Rep. Cutter, Commissioner Kerr and me for this virtual event. Save the date!

This month, we’ll take a deeper dive into how the pandemic has impacted Jeffco’s economy and what we’re collectively doing to enhance economic resiliency and recovery. Hear the latest from our special guests about Colorado’s and Jeffco’s economic outlook, as well as state and county strategies.

This town hall is one of a series of six we’re hosting in 2021, building on our conversation in January about COVID vaccines with experts from the CO Dept. of Health and Jeffco Public Health. (In May, we'll take a closer look at wildfire risk.)

It also reflects a three-year collaboration among your Foothills elected leaders to inform and involve our constituents. We want to hear from you! Your input helps shape the policy decisions we make. We’ll also share your comments and answer your questions.

We can’t wait to start doing these town halls again in person. Until then, keep Jeffco in the blue category on the state’s COVID dial by getting your vaccine when it's your turn, masking up, socially distancing, washing your hands… you know what to do!

Zoom Registration

Listen Live on Facebook on Representative Cutter's Page

Please invite friends or share our Facebook Event to your Profile Pages to let more people know about it. Thank you!

26 Mar 2021 14:01 #3 by ldahlkemper
Join Senator Story, Representative Cutter, and Commissioners Dahlkemper and Kerr for a virtual Jeffco Foothills Town Hall tomorrow at 9am. We will be focusing on county and statewide economic updates, along with response and recovery.

We are excited to be joined by special guest Senator Dominick Moreno, Chair of the Joint Budget Committee of the Colorado General Assembly! He will give an update on the state's budget and economic outlook. If you have questions in advance please submit them here: forms.gle/mXYQ1w99n4MGP4nN7

26 Mar 2021 16:17 #4 by ScienceChic
I hope all of you register to attend if you have time tomorrow. The more we are actively engaged in our local government, the more informed we are and better served we'll be. We have many serious issues facing us, not the least of which is the high wildfire risk our Foothills communities face. I have submitted the following question and will be sending this along to our U.S. representatives as well.

Wildfire Risk and Evacuation Planning:
We've known for many years that Highway 285 in the Front Range is decades behind in safety and congestion improvements; CDOT has a written plan from the early 2000s for all of the work that is recommended. Every year that has gone by, the summer weekend traffic has worsened to the point that residents feel trapped (the actual word they use) in their homes on Fridays and Sundays because I-70 and Hwy 285 are the two major routes out of Denver into the mountains. The insufficiencies of our communications infrastructure and internet capabilities in our rural mountain areas is well documented, and mirror those of the town of Paradise, California which suffered horrifically during the Camp Fire. I recently learned from Park County Dispatch that our cell towers become overloaded simply when 60,000 cars are going down the highway trying to get home or go camping on one of those busy days, and during an emergency they may have to tell first responders to cease communications so that they could send a CodeRED emergency notification, thus delaying the ordering of air support, additional mutual aid, and critical communication during the precious moments at the beginning of a wildfire when it's easiest and least costly to stop before it grows too large. The Fire Chief of one of our mountain fire departments shared that given the topography and local climate we have that a fire that starts in the Bailey/Platte Canyon area will most likely be driven right toward Highway 285, the cell tower on Mt Bailey would most assuredly be lost if fire got to that mountain, and it would be safer for him to send people evacuating the area southbound to Fairplay rather than north toward Denver. That stretch is mostly two lane, winding highway that cannot handle large volumes of [panicked] traffic.

Given all this, I feel that the plans to widen and improve the engineering for Highway 285 from Conifer through Kenosha Pass (at the least, if not all the way to Fairplay) be made a higher priority, imperative even, and our internet and communications infrastructure be vastly improved. Wireless communication is much more difficult in the mountains, more fiber is desperately needed. The political will has been lackluster toward Highway 285 safety and transportation issues, with I-70 having received the lions share of attention and funding for improvements over the years. Is there any way that Highway 285 could be made a higher priority for project planning, with funds dedicated toward transportation and communications improvements where catastrophic fire danger is highest in Colorado so that lives won't be lost during a wildfire? With the current infrastructure we have, and a devastating wildfire being a matter of when, not if, we certainly will lose lives if we don't start working on this immediately.

Thank you

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds