Mile High Fungi: a Conifer-based, home-grown mushroom farm business

09 Jul 2021 13:37 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Why One Denver Couple Began Growing Mushrooms at Home
In 2014, Liz and Michael Nail founded Mile High Fungi, a Conifer farm bringing cultivated and wild-grown mushrooms to local tables.
Courtney Holden, 5280 Magazine • June 23, 2021

Liz Nail has a confession: When she went to college, she sorta, kinda, didn’t like mushrooms. But one night at a potluck dinner with friends, she saw her peers eating chanterelles and thought maybe they were worth trying again. That bite altered her life’s trajectory. “I realized I totally loved mushrooms,” she laughs. “I was just hanging onto a five-year-old mentality.”

Fast-forward 18 years and now Nail and her husband, Michael, bring a wide range of gourmet mushrooms to tables across the Front Range through their seasonal farm, Mile High Fungi. They offer both cultivated varieties like shitake, oyster, king trumpet, and pioppini, as well as wild-foraged options like morel, porcini, and lobster. “Looking back, it’s a healthy reminder to keep an open mind because you never know where trying something new might take you,” Nail says.

Mushrooms from Mile High Fungi. Photo courtesy of Liz and Michael Nail

...Selling the property in July 2016 provided a significant chunk of the seed money necessary to buy the 35 acres of “raw land with nothing on it” in Conifer that Mile High Fungi now sits on—land upon which Nail and Michael have since built a 2,400-square-foot, agricultural barn to house their mushroom-growing operation (not to mention a house). They did more than 95 percent of the work themselves.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds