Jefferson County: 1,200 Acres Of Open Space In Exchange For Pit Mine Expansion

20 Jul 2021 13:03 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Jefferson County Could Get 1,200 Acres Of Open Space In Exchange For Allowing A Pit Mine To Expand
By Andrew Kenney, CPR News
July 7, 2021

Jefferson County officials have had their eyes on the foothills west of Golden for decades. A sprawling set of ranch properties sits just beyond the city limits, with miles of hilly and largely untouched terrain.

Now, the county is poised to buy a large chunk of that land through a complex deal involving the mining company Martin Marietta. Ultimately, Jefferson County Open Space could get nearly 1,200 acres of the Goltra ranch properties, which sit between Clear Creek Canyon Park, Centennial Cone Park and Mount Galbraith Park.

The county would also get about 84 acres near the old Heritage Square theme park site, including the old alpine slide slopes and the historic Bachman Farm.

Under the deal, Martin Marietta would take possession of about 64 acres of county land, which is currently vacant because it’s not accessible, according to Jefferson County Open Space. The company could then expand its quarry onto about 48 of those acres.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds