Ballot Measure: 1% Sales Tax for Park County Sheriff's Office

31 Aug 2021 18:33 #1 by MyMountainTown
During the August Platte Canyon Area Chamber of Commerce membership meeting, Park County Sheriff Tom McGraw gave a presentation in which he explained that the Sheriff's Office would be placing on this November's ballot a measure for a 1% sales tax for voters to approve. He discussed his goals for the additional funding and how it would benefit the citizens of Park County, including hiring additional deputies, providing assistance with housing for deputies, increased training, a mental health expert to go on calls with deputies for situations that would greatly benefit from that expertise, and more.

We scheduled a follow-up visit with him in order to video record his presentation so we could share it with the public at large. This is the unedited interview that took place.

If you have questions regarding the ballot measure, department finances/budget, or general questions about the Sheriff's Office itself, Sheriff McGraw invites everyone to contact him anytime at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. There will be community meetings scheduled in the future, and more information coming out about this ballot measure - check back here for updates.

Our thanks to Sheriff McGraw for his time, and to all the deputies and staff at the Park County Sheriff's Office for their tireless efforts to keep the community safe.

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Aug 2021 19:09 #2 by HappyCamper
I understand why they need a raise but this sheriff has been silent for the most part soon after he was elected.

He has not embraced social media which is how most people learn about what is going on so he and his offices better step up to the plate and define where the money will go in-depth on all platforms.

Other things also need to be addressed like the jail still losing money.

Just saying if they do not answer the questions the general public wants to be answered well they are climbing a big hill.

31 Aug 2021 19:28 #3 by HappyCamper
Why can they not have classes in the crappy jail and only pay the instructor's fees/meals/hotel?

Sorry, this is a very sore spot with me, and well he said right in this interview you can call or come in and sit with me but just before that he said sometimes he has to go on calls.

Sales tax is not just on products at Loaf-n-Jug we all buy cars up here which are the larger items that are being purchased so just don't sugarcoat it those in the county will still be fronting more of the sales tax.

If anything is going to a jail that is losing money sorry I am done we have paid too much come up with another solution.

I hate being this way but I feel the think we all just fell of the turnip truck and I frankly am tired of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick

13 Sep 2021 19:46 #4 by Mountain-News-Events
Sales tax to fund Sheriff’s Office on ballot Nov. 2
By Lynda James Senior Correspondent, The Flume, Aug 26, 2021

Voters will decide Nov. 2 whether to increase Park County’s sales tax by one percent to help fund the Park County Sheriff’s Office. The county commissioners approved a resolution placing it on the ballot Aug. 17.

The question states the money generated from the additional one percent sales tax is “to be used for the Park County Sheriff’s Office for enforcement services in Park County.”

The question has a 10 year sunset date. To continue after 2031, it will need to be approved again by voters.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

15 Sep 2021 16:12 #5 by ScienceChic
One of the Platte Canyon Chamber members had a flyer they were handing out at yesterday's meeting and shared that Sheriff McGraw will be attending a series of community meetings where everyone is encouraged to attend and ask questions. They will be held on Saturday October 2 at 3 different times and 2 locations (one outdoor if you are uncomfortable in groups while indoors).

10am & 3pm: Platte Canyon Fire Protection District Station 2, 153 Delwood Dr, Bailey CO 80421
1pm: Weakland Fawks Park 876 Burland Dr, Bailey CO 80421

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

15 Sep 2021 21:11 #6 by FredHayek
Love the sunset provision. This should be part of most legislation.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Sep 2021 14:40 #7 by PlatteCanyonChamber
Penny Sales Tax Ballot Initiative 1A Informational Meeting

We are hosting three local informational meetings on Saturday, October 2nd.
Park County Sheriff, Tom McGraw will join us to present the facts and explain their impact on our county for 30 minutes.

A question-and-answer session will follow for the final 30 minutes.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Monthly General Membership Meeting: 2nd Tuesday of every month at Platte Canyon Fire Station on Crow Hill, 153 Delwood Dr, Bailey from 07:30-09:00.

Platte Canyon Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 477, Bailey, CO 80421
Facebook
Twitter
Attachments:

18 Oct 2021 17:00 #8 by PlatteCanyonChamber
Got any last minute questions about ballot issue 1A? This will be a great forum to get them answered.

Monthly General Membership Meeting: 2nd Tuesday of every month at Platte Canyon Fire Station on Crow Hill, 153 Delwood Dr, Bailey from 07:30-09:00.

Platte Canyon Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 477, Bailey, CO 80421
Facebook
Twitter
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds