Driver gets 110 years in fiery I-70 crash that killed 4

15 Dec 2021 13:28 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Driver gets 110 years in fiery I-70 crash that killed 4
Rogel Aguilera-Mederos was found guilty on 27 counts, including four counts of vehicular manslaughter, after the April 2019 crash near Lakewood.
Author: Wilson Beese (9NEWS), Janet Oravetz (9News), Katie Eastman
Published: 9:32 AM MST December 13, 2021

LAKEWOOD, Colo. — The man convicted after a crash on Interstate 70 that left four people dead was sentenced to 110 years in prison Monday afternoon.

Rogel Aguilera-Mederos was 23 when his semi-truck slammed into stopped traffic on the interstate near Denver West Parkway on April 25, 2019. Four people died instantly from the impact: Doyle Harrison, William Bailey, Miguel Angel Lamas Arellano and Stanley Politano. It is believed they all died from injuries and not the resulting fire.

"In all victim impact statements I read, I did not glean from them someone saying, 'He should be in prison for the rest of his life, and he should never, ever get out," [Judge] Jones said. "Far from it. There was forgiveness reflected in those statements, but also a desire that he be punished and serve time in prison, and I share those sentiments."

Aguilera-Mederos was extremely emotional as he asked for forgiveness before Jones announced the sentence.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds