Change in lodging tax law will help mountain communities build affordable housng

13 Apr 2022 21:36 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Change in lodging tax law will help Colorado mountain communities build affordable housing
State lawmakers passed a measure changing how lodging tax revenue can be spent by counties, as long as local voters consent.
Author: Steve Staeger, 9News
Published: 8:10 PM MDT April 11, 2022

DENVER — Park County Commissioner Dick Elsner doesn’t mince words when talking about the impact of short term rentals on his county’s housing market.

“They’ve pretty much destroyed it,” he said. “In the entire county we’ve got I think the last number was 49 houses on the market. There is nothing in Park County that is really affordable.”

“The sheriff’s department, when we hire deputies, they can’t find a place to live,” Elsner said. “They hired a doctor, he couldn’t find a house so they had to hire a different doctor.”

The tight market made news from the Colorado State Capitol last month even more welcoming for county leaders like Elsner. In March, Colorado lawmakers passed a measure that changed the law on how lodging tax revenue can be spent by county government.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds