CDOT preps for I-70 expansion at Floyd Hill, releases renderings

29 May 2022 22:13 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
CDOT preps for I-70 expansion at Floyd Hill, releases renderings
by: Michael Konopasek, KDVR
Posted: May 18, 2022

IDAHO SPRINGS, Colo. (KDVR) — State transportation officials are getting ready for a big construction project on Interstate 70 in the mountains. Floyd Hill is going to get a makeover as the Colorado Department of Transportation plans to widen the highway.

New state renderings show a “double-decker” and a wider I-70 navigating Floyd Hill. Traffic currently funnels to two lanes westbound in the area.

Construction should start in springtime 2023 and run through 2027 at a cost of roughly $700 million.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Feb 2023 12:08 #2 by Mountain-News-Events
Save the Date

Join us for a public meeting and open house
Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Learn more about the upcoming construction phase for the I-70 Floyd Hill Project. The project will address the bottleneck at Floyd Hill, rebuild bridges to today's safety standards and build a frontage road between US 6 and Hidden Valley/Central City Parkway. As you may know, work has begun on two of the accompanying projects associated with the I-70 Floyd Hill Project (the I-70 Genesee wildlife underpass and the US 40 & Floyd Hill roundabout), but construction on the main project is right around the corner — expected to begin by early summer.

CDOT is hosting a public meeting Tuesday, March 7, from 6 to 8 p.m., with a presentation at 6:30. The meeting will include an overview of the project development process, information on early projects underway and an introduction to the main construction project. The meeting will follow an open house format where you will have an opportunity to ask questions and speak to project representatives before and after the presentation.

The meeting will be held at Clear Creek High School, 185 Beaver Brook Canyon Road, in Evergreen.

To learn more about the project and stay connected during construction, please see the attached graphics and visit: codot.gov/projects/i70floydhill

If you are unable to attend this meeting, the information shared that evening will be posted to the project website by Friday, March 10.

Regards,
I-70 Floyd Hill Project team

Stay Connected

CDOT Hotline: 720-994-2368 (CDOT)
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Text Alerts: Text 'floydhill' to 21000
Facebook: facebook.com/coloradodot
Twitter: twitter.com/ColoradoDOT
Real-time Travel Updates: COtrip.org or the COtrip Planner app

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

06 Jun 2023 13:09 - 06 Jun 2023 14:40 #3 by Mountain-News-Events
Join the Colorado Department of Transportation and its contractor partner Kraemer North America to learn more about the I-70 Floyd Hill Project at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 6.

This interactive phone call allows you to ask questions about the Project and hear updates from Project leaders.

Anyone can participate in the telephone town hall by calling toll-free 855-710-6230.

For text alert reminders, please sign up by texting floydhill to 21000.

More information: www.codot.gov/projects/i70floydhill

Attachments:

30 Jun 2023 17:40 #4 by MountainTownAlerts
I-70 Floyd Hill Project Update
Week of July 2
Construction starts July 6

The Colorado Department of Transportation’s I-70 Floyd Hill Project will begin construction on the first section of the project on Thursday, July 6. While work will begin on the East Section of the Project, which spans I-70 from County Road 65 to the bottom of Floyd Hill (approximately exits 248 to 244), motorists can expect crews corridor-wide to mobilize in the area and install traffic control signage. Work in the East Section will require minor lane restriping, shoulder closures and installation of temporary barriers to separate the work area from I-70 travel lanes.

Watch for overnight I-70 lane and ramp closures the week of July 9. Motorists should expect narrower lanes and shoulders, reduced speed limits as low as 45 MPH and increased truck traffic entering and exiting the work zones.

During construction, the existing I-70 travel lanes will remain open in each direction during peak daytime travel hours. Lane closure hours for the duration of construction will vary based on the season, day of week, number of lanes being closed and travel direction.

Map of the I-70 Floyd Hill Project Work Zone

Traffic Impacts
  • Thursday, July 6, and Friday, July 7 – 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. - Daytime right shoulder closures on eastbound I-70 from the Hidden Valley interchange (Exit 243) to the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) to install traffic control signage and set up the work zone.
  • Overnight Thursday, July 6 - 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. - Left lane closure on eastbound I-70 from the Hidden Valley interchange (Exit 243) to the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) to install traffic control signage and set up the work zone.
  • For the week of July 9, motorists can expect daytime shoulder closures, and overnight lane and ramp closures.
  • Reduced speed limits, lane and shoulder widths, and increased truck traffic entering and exiting the work zones. Heed the speed limit, do not follow trucks into the work zone, slow for the cone zone and do not drive distracted.
  • For realtime travel information, visit COTrip.org.
Stay Connected
Know before you go during the I-70 Floyd Hill Project! Receive live updates on major construction impacts by texting floydhill (one word) to 21000.

If you were unable to join us for our Telephone Town Hall, please visit www.codot.gov/i70floydhill/outreach and check out the recording or script for more Project details.

Know Before You Go!
Project Webpage: codot.gov/projects/i70floydhill
Hotline: 720-994-2368
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Road Conditions: COtrip.org
COtrip Planner App: bit.ly/COtripapp
Project Travel Alerts: bit.ly/COnewsalerts
Lane Closures: bit.ly/laneclosures
Attachments:

10 Jul 2023 09:48 #5 by Mountain-News-Events
Week of July 9
The Colorado Department of Transportation’s I-70 Floyd Hill Project began construction on the first section of the project on Thursday, July 6. While construction starts on the East Section of the project, which spans I-70 from County Road 65 to the bottom of Floyd Hill (approximately exits 248 to 244), motorists can expect corridor-wide impacts for crews to mobilize in the area, establish a safe work zone and install traffic control signage. This will require minor lane restriping, shoulder closures and installation of temporary barriers to separate the work area from I-70 travel lanes.

Motorists should expect narrower lanes and shoulders, reduced speed limits as low as 45 MPH and increased truck traffic entering and exiting the work zones. All construction activities are weather dependent and subject to change.

During construction, the existing I-70 travel lanes will remain open in each direction during peak daytime travel hours. Lane closure hours for the duration of construction will vary based on the season, day of week, number of lanes being closed and travel direction.

Eastbound I-70 Traffic Impacts
  • 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sunday, July 9 - Double left lane closures on eastbound I-70 from the Hidden Valley interchange (Exit 243) to the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) for roadway repairs.
  • 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday, July 10 through Thursday, July 13 - Double lane closures on eastbound I-70 from the Hidden Valley interchange (Exit 243) to the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) for roadway repairs and a traffic shift. One lane of traffic will remain open.
  • 8 p.m. to 8 a.m., Friday, July 14 - Left lane closure on eastbound I-70 from the Hidden Valley interchange to the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) for a traffic shift.
  • 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., Tuesday, July 11, Thursday, July 13, and Friday, July 14 - The eastbound I-70 off-ramp to Homestead Road (Exit 247) will be closed for roadway repairs and a traffic shift. Detour: Continue on eastbound I-70 and turn around using the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251).

Westbound I-70 Traffic Impacts
  • 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., Sunday, July 9 through Tuesday, July 11 - Left lane closure on westbound I-70 from the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) to the Hidden Valley interchange (Exit 243) to install traffic control signage and set up the work zone.
  • 7 p.m. to 6 a.m., Wednesday, July 12 and Thursday, July 13 - Left lane closure on westbound I-70 from the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) to the Hidden Valley interchange (Exit 243) to install traffic control signage and set up the work zone.

Corridor-Wide Traffic Impacts
  • Reduced speed limits as low as 45 MPH, narrower lanes and shoulders, and increased truck traffic entering and exiting the work zones. Heed the speed limit, do not follow trucks into the work zone, go slow for the cone zone and do not drive distracted.
  • All construction activities are weather dependent and subject to change. For real-time travel information, visit COTrip.org.

Attachments:

21 Jul 2023 16:24 #6 by Mountain-News-Events
Week of July 23
Eastbound I-70 Traffic Impacts
  • Watch for overnight right lane closures on eastbound I-70 from the US 6 interchange (Exit 244) to the County Road 65 interchange (Exit 248) for the installation of temporary barrier. One lane of traffic will remain open.
  • 11 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sunday, July 23
  • 7 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday, July 24, through Thursday, July 27
  • 11 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sunday, July 23 - The eastbound I-70 off-ramp to Homestead Road (Exit 247) will be closed for installation of temporary barrier. Detour: Continue on eastbound I-70 and turn around using the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251).

Westbound I-70 Traffic Impacts
  • Watch for overnight, double-lane closures on westbound I-70 from the County Road 65 interchange (Exit 248) to the US 6 interchange (Exit 244) for installation of traffic control signage. One lane of traffic will remain open.
  • 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sunday, July 23
  • 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday, July 24, through Wednesday, July 26
  • 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., Thursday, July 27

Corridor-Wide Traffic Impacts
  • Reduced speed limits as low as 45 mph, narrower lanes and shoulders, and increased truck traffic entering and exiting the work zones. Heed the speed limit, do not follow trucks into the work zone, go slow for the cone zone and do not drive distracted.
  • All construction activities are weather dependent and subject to change. For real-time travel information, visit COTrip.org.

Upcoming Rock Scaling Operations
  • Week of July 31 - Crews will begin rock scaling operations. Crews will scale rocks up to four times a day, Monday through Thursday, within a 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. time frame, which is historically an off-peak travel time range. During each operation, motorists can expect traffic holds of up to 20 minutes in both eastbound and westbound directions which may result in up to 45 minutes delays as the last of the traffic queues clear. Crews will wait until traffic is flowing at normal speeds before conducting another round of scaling operations to prevent extreme traffic impacts.

I-70 Floyd Hill Design Work
  • 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., Sunday, July 23, through Friday, July 28 - Right lane and shoulder closures on westbound I-70 for geotech work between the Homestead Road interchange (Exit 246) and the US 6 interchange (Exit 244).
  • 4 to 8 p.m., Tuesday, July 25 - Right lane closure on westbound I-70 at the US 6 interchange (Exit 244) for fiber optic work.

US 40 Roundabouts Project
  • Watch for a full closure of US 40 from just west of Homestead Road to the Floyd Hill Open Space for sewer installation:
  • 8 a.m. Monday, July 24, through noon, Friday, July 28
  • 8 a.m. Monday, July 31, through noon, Friday, Aug. 4

20 Aug 2023 11:58 - 20 Aug 2023 15:59 #7 by Mountain-News-Events
Week of August 20
The Colorado Department of Transportation’s I-70 Floyd Hill Project continues construction on the East Section of the project, which spans I-70 from County Road 65 to the bottom of Floyd Hill (approximately exits 248 to 244).

Motorists can continue to expect traffic holds approximately every 75 minutes between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Thursday, on I-70 and US 40 between Homestead Road (Exit 247) and the US 6 (Exit 244) interchanges, which could result in up to 45 minutes of delay as rock scaling and blasting work continues. During the traffic holds, we recommend you turn off your vehicle to help with air quality. For updates on rock scaling and rock blasting, text floydhill (one word, lowercase) to 21000.

Rock Scaling and Blasting Traffic Impacts
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday, Aug. 21, through Tuesday, Aug. 22 - Crews continue rock scaling operations between the Homestead Road (Exit 247) and US 6 (Exit 244) interchanges. Crews will scale rocks multiple times a day during off-peak travel hours.
  • Noon to 3 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 23, and Thursday, Aug. 24 - Crews continue rock scaling operations between the Homestead Road (Exit 247) and US 6 (Exit 244) interchanges. Crews will scale rocks multiple times a day during off-peak travel hours.
  • Noon to 2 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 22, and Thursday, Aug. 24 - Crews will use one of the planned scaling operations to also conduct a rock blasting operation. Crews will blast once a day and up to two times per week. A series of airhorn blasts will precede each detonation to warn people in the area.
  • Crews will wait until traffic is flowing at normal speeds before continuing with rock scaling operations.

I-70 Ramp Closures
  • 6 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 23 to 6 a.m., Thursday, Aug. 24 - The Homestead Road on-ramp to westbound I-70 (Exit 247) will be closed for roadway repairs. Detour: Continue west on US 40 and use the US 6 interchange (Exit 244) for access to westbound I-70.

Caption: Continue west on US 40 and use the US 6 interchange (Exit 244) for access to westbound I-70.
  • 6 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 23 to 6 a.m., Thursday, Aug. 24 - The eastbound I-70 off-ramp to Homestead Road (Exit 247) will be closed for roadway repairs. Detour: Continue on eastbound I-70, turn around using the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) and then use the westbound I-70 off-ramp to County Road 65 (Exit 248) and US 40 to access Homestead Road.

Eastbound I-70 off-ramp detour map - use the El Rancho interchange exit to turn around and access Homestead Road.

Caption: Continue on eastbound I-70, turn around using the El Rancho interchange (Exit 251) and then use the westbound I-70 off-ramp to County Road 65 (Exit 248) and US 40 to access Homestead Road.

I-70 Lane Closures
  • Lane closures on westbound I-70 between County Road 65 (Exit 248) and US 6 (Exit 244) for roadway repairs.
  • 9 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 20 to 6 a.m., Monday, Aug. 21
  • 9 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 24 to 5 a.m., Friday, Aug. 25
  • 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday, Aug. 21, through Thursday, Aug. 24 - Watch for lane closures on eastbound I-70 between US 6 (Exit 244) and County Road 65 (Exit 248) for roadway repairs.

I-70 Mountain Corridor-Wide Traffic Impacts
  • Reduced speed limits as low as 45 mph, narrower lanes and shoulders, and increased truck traffic entering and exiting the work zones. Heed the speed limit, do not follow trucks into the work zone, go slow for the cone zone and do not drive distracted.
  • Motorists should expect daytime and nighttime shoulder closures on westbound I-70 for utility work.

Know Before You Go!
Project Webpage: codot.gov/projects/i70floydhill
Hotline: 720-994-2368
Text Alerts: Text floydhill to 21000

Road Conditions: COtrip.org
COtrip Planner App: bit.ly/COtripapp
Project Travel Alerts: bit.ly/COnewsalerts
Lane Closures: bit.ly/laneclosures

About the Project
The I-70 Floyd Hill Project will improve eight miles of the I-70 mountain corridor, from west of Evergreen to eastern Idaho Springs. The Project will deliver a third westbound I-70 travel lane, which will function as an Express Lane, to improve the current two-lane bottleneck. Other major elements include constructing a missing two-mile section of the frontage road between Evergreen and Idaho Springs, building an eastbound I-70 extended on-ramp for slow-moving vehicles, improving traffic flow and access at interchanges and intersections within the project limits, improving sight distance on roadway curves, improving the Clear Creek Greenway trail, and implementing environmental mitigation to create safer wildlife movements and improve air and water quality, stream conditions and recreation.

Construction began in July 2023 and is expected to conclude in late 2028.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds