Lives full of love, yet miles apart

07 Apr 2011 06:45 #1 by outdoor338
Every day, the Halverson siblings wonder if their 3-year-old sister will finally be allowed to join their family.

The long wait for Damon and Aleeah might soon be over -- or the hundreds of miles that separate their home near Brainerd from their sister's foster home in Nebraska might become a permanent barrier. The siblings are at the heart of a Nebraska court battle that could establish a legal precedent on whether siblings have a right to live together if they become wards of the state.

Damon, 8, and Aleeah, 7, were adopted seven years ago by Jeff and Karen Halverson of Staples, Minn. Their sister Meridian has been in the Nebraska foster care system since her mother was arrested there for drunken driving in 2007.

The Halversons are trying to adopt the girl, but the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services believes Meridian shouldn't be uprooted from the foster family she has lived with for more than two years. In 2010, a juvenile court judge agreed, saying Meridian's foster parents "have loved and cared for her as if she were their own child."

http://www.startribune.com/local/119372909.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Apr 2011 07:24 #2 by Obam me
Replied by Obam me on topic Lives full of love, yet miles apart
Sounds like its time for Solomon's court.

07 Apr 2011 07:46 #3 by outdoor338
:yeahthat: :thumbsup: :biggrin:

07 Apr 2011 08:02 #4 by major bean
The foster home system needs to be stopped. It is not a pretty system.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds