Gas Prices Still Going Up- Sales Down

12 Apr 2011 13:00 #11 by Kate
Saving a billion gallons of gasoline is a wrong idea? The study in the link states that about 25% of the cars in America have underinflated tires. I'll bet mine is one of them, but I rarely get to a station to inflate them. (I let the oil change guys do that every few months.) We may know about it, but we don't do anything.

I still say it's a good idea that costs nothing and saves a lot. Plus, it would lessen our dependence on oil, whether it's the need to import or to drill new wells. I don't understand how this cannot be part of the answer for energy savings.

As far as building new refineries, I would suspect that part of the reason to not be building is the cost of construction. $3 billion for a single refinery is the latest price I've heard. Another probable reason is who really wants a refinery in their back yard?

Not a single idea or action will free us as a nation from oil dependence, but we need to start, and conservation is a no-brainer.

Here's an interesting article from 6 years ago:
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/how ... -left.html

Bringing this discussion down to a practical and personal level, it seems that Americans need to make several important realizations:

1. Oil is not an infinite resource.
2. Remaining supplies of oil should be used wisely.
3. Alternative sources of energy need to be brought on line soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Apr 2011 13:23 #12 by Nmysys

Bringing this discussion down to a practical and personal level, it seems that Americans need to make several important realizations:

1. Oil is not an infinite resource.
2. Remaining supplies of oil should be used wisely.
3. Alternative sources of energy need to be brought on line soon.

We need to bring you up to speed. There have been many threads discussing these 3 points. Maybe I should have you do some homework assignments of reading some of the other threads. Just kidding.

I believe it was Printsmith who a couple of weeks ago debunked these points. Alternative sources will take too long and at an even higher expense!

We have probably a century worth of oil that we know of here in the USA. We aren't allowed to drill!!

Let me point out that we have probably spent that much $ on our third war in the middle east and none of us even know why we are involved in it. We give that much money away to other countries, like Brazil so they can drill and Obama said we want to be their customer just last week. We can't drill in the gulf but China and other countries can.

Remaining supplies should be used wisely? By who?
Who determines what is wise? Our government?

12 Apr 2011 13:41 #13 by Kate
But oil is a finite resource. It is not unlimited. Even your statement of "a century of oil" indicates that. Of course, right now, alternatives are not able to take over the job of oil, gas and coal, but they need to start taking a bigger part of the energy burden. Just imagine if we could utilize active & passive solar to heat & power our homes, thus allowing us to export more coal & gas to other countries. We could get some money back from China!

As far as our third war, it's not really a war now, is it? Be fair. We're part of a U.N. action, similar to the first Gulf War. I had heard that the cost of the flights over Libya cost between $300k and $1million per day. (I could be wrong.) We've been doing it for what, three weeks? $27 million? (I have no links to back up my figures - just what I read a few weeks back.) That's a figurative drop in the bucket compared to other expenditures and what we could save by properly inflating our tires, which would be $3.5 billion consumer dollars yearly. Wouldn't it feel great to quit lining the pockets of oil executives and the foreign dictators that sell us the oil?

12 Apr 2011 13:56 #14 by Nmysys
All but 2 of the missiles fired in the first two or three days were fired by us. At the end of the first week we were at a cost of close to $1Biilion if not more. The cost to keep our ships and planes just involved probably has our cost in this war, of course the mainstream media won't report it, to around $2Billion if not more already. My point was that money seems to this administration and admittedly the previous ones, to either grow on trees or just so easy to just print more. The cost of building refineries as you mentioned earlier, was not meant to be taken as to be done by the Government, but by Private industry. Gee, is that a novel concept? Yes, private industries, which BTW would create jobs, stimulate the economy, decrease our dependence on Foreign Oil, which by the way would mean keep some of our money out of the hands of those who would do us harm!!!

BTW, one more important note Kate. Feeling good as you put it, is a Liberal thing!!!

12 Apr 2011 14:04 #15 by Kate
LOL! So feeling bad is a conservative thing? HA! I'll remember that!

I wasn't aware of the cost (obviously) of our efforts in Libya. When I mentioned earlier that refineries are expensive, it was a private enterprise cost that I quoted, not government cost. I agree that building more refineries wold lower costs to the consumer, but would it wean us off our oil addiction? No. I think it's a good idea to progress forward on all fronts - conservation, exploration of alternatives and the continued (albeit reduced) use of finite fossil fuels. If that includes checking the pressure of my tires weekly, I'll do it. We al have to chip in and do our part.

12 Apr 2011 14:07 #16 by archer
I'm sure if we go back far enough, to the right message board, we will find posts by nmysys detailing the cost of the Iraq war when Bush invaded that country. I am sure he has been consistantly against all military action in the middle east......I know I have been, even this one.

12 Apr 2011 14:13 #17 by Nmysys
Archer:

You won't find it!!!

You would lose your bet again.

Nice try, NOT!!!!

12 Apr 2011 14:19 #18 by Nmysys
Kate:

Let me make that a little clearer for you.

The idea of it is a feel good thing, is what Liberalism is all about. It feels good to say particular things. It feels good thinking that you are such a good person because you think a particular way, but usually, that is all it is. You can find that feel good mentality on Pineslam. That is what they do over there, talk about how wonderful they are because they post wonderful feelings that they really don't mean. Like, I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble, or I am so sorry to hear that you are sick, etc. but they don't offer to help, or do anything about anything. Oh yeah, here is one of my favorites over there, You will be in my prayers, by people who have made claims over and over again that they are atheists!!!

Republicans feel good when we are able to slow down or stop part of the Liberal Agenda!!!

12 Apr 2011 14:26 #19 by Kate
Well, no, that's not what liberalism is all about. Really. But you are free to hold whatever opinions you wish.

It sounds like you have some issues with the people at PineCam. I won't comment further on that.

In terms of archer's comments, I think he was saying that there may be some inconsistency in your stance on military actions in relation to the Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. Were you for or against the earlier military involvement in 2003? If you were against them, then you're being consistent. If you were in support of the 2003 wars, then you're being inconsistent. That's not what I'm saying, it's my understanding of archer's post.

12 Apr 2011 14:29 #20 by archer

Nmysys wrote: Kate:

Let me make that a little clearer for you.

The idea of it is a feel good thing, is what Liberalism is all about. It feels good to say particular things. It feels good thinking that you are such a good person because you think a particular way, but usually, that is all it is. You can find that feel good mentality on Pineslam. That is what they do over there, talk about how wonderful they are because they post wonderful feelings that they really don't mean. Like, I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble, or I am so sorry to hear that you are sick, etc. but they don't offer to help, or do anything about anything. Oh yeah, here is one of my favorites over there, You will be in my prayers, by people who have made claims over and over again that they are atheists!!!

How sad that you think people who care about other people are wrong. Wow......I know I appreciate it when someone says they care about me, or say they are praying for me. I don't have to be a religious person to appreciate the sentiment. What a sad little life you lead.

Republicans feel good when we are able to slow down or stop part of the Liberal Agenda!!!

no wonder you conservatives are so angry all the time, you never get to feel good

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds