Beltway Conventional ‘Wisdom’ and the Budget Deal

14 Apr 2011 22:02 #1 by Blazer Bob
"............As I noted in an earlier post, we’re asked to swallow this insulting deal on the representation that it’s politically/tactically smart — the best we could get at the moment — and that bigger cuts would come in the FY 2012 deal. After all, this is the way things are done in Washington. You rubes from flyover country don’t understand the long game.

That long game has gotten us a $14,500,000,000,000 debt and a $1,700,000,000,000 deficit. But hey, it’s just the way things are done. If you don’t like it, you don’t appreciate how thing operate on the Potomac."

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/26 ... r-kirsanow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Apr 2011 07:22 #2 by FredHayek
1) I think it would have been hard to get meaningful cuts past a Sentate that supports public subsidies for cowboy poetry.
2) But how bad is this, the CBO saying there are actually less than one billion worth of cuts? Only 330 million. Very sad.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Apr 2011 09:08 #3 by Pony Soldier
Boner got rolled by his masters - the lobbyists. We are screwed. We have NO representation in Washington.

When war funding is factored in the legislation would actually increase total federal outlays by $3.3 billion relative to current levels.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

15 Apr 2011 12:37 #4 by Rick

towermonkey wrote: Boner got rolled by his masters - the lobbyists. We are screwed. We have NO representation in Washington.

When war funding is factored in the legislation would actually increase total federal outlays by $3.3 billion relative to current levels.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

I agree, but what about the Dems on this? What kind of budget deal would there be if the Republicans had not pushed for the cuts that they did? There are only a small handful of people in Washington that are talking about cutting trillions and not billions which is the only way we will have a chance to get out of this mess.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Apr 2011 13:43 #5 by Blazer Bob
"Jane, you ignorant slut".

"I want you teabaggers out there to understand one thing: while you idolize the Founding Fathers and dress up like them, and smell like them, I think it’s pretty clear that the Founding Fathers would have hated your guts. And what’s more, you would’ve hated them. They were everything you despise. They studied science, read Plato, hung out in Paris, and thought the Bible was mostly bullsh*t."

— Bill Maher

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds