Don't let ignorant people vote

17 Apr 2011 13:34 #61 by Rockdoc

major bean wrote: Please consider that you are saying that other voters are not pleasing you with their voting habits and criteria. That they are not informed to the level of your standards.

Why do you consider the majority of voters to be less thoughful than yourself? Their method of voting may be just as valid as yours. A little introspection might be in order here. What is your attitude toward the majority of mankind? Are they mindless cattle?

Your putting words in my mouth. I said nothing about myself above. it has nothing to do with my standards. It had everything to do with discussing an editorial opinion. THis is not and has not been about me unless I use myself as an example. Let's face it, I know myself better than most and Criticalbill hit the nail on the head when he said "... people who don't pay attention to political issues, don't know who is representing them, and have no clue where the country is heading, can only vote based on appearance or what other people tell them to vote for. It's like a blind man judging a beauty contest when all he can go by is the voices." This could be me at times. I do not always pay attention and therefore am ignorant and am now really eligible to cast a critical vote.

You are so hung up about elitism etc. that you fail to read critically, but read into someone's responses what you wish to see. Why else would you even come up with the BS about "A little introspection might be in order here. What is your attitude toward the majority of mankind?" Given that attitude it does not deserve a response from me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2011 14:41 #62 by major bean
Each thing that we post reveals quite a bit about us. Why do you think others do not deserve the right to vote because of their perceived ignorance? Claiming that a group of people is uninformed reveals quite a bit about the one making the claim. We cannot escape revealing our perspectives.

Regards,
Major Bean

17 Apr 2011 15:08 #63 by PrintSmith

Rockdoc Franz wrote: So what do you propose MB? That we continue with our current way that reaps us an irresponsible government? It appears to me you are adverse to acknowledging that people vote on issues about which they have little or no understanding.

What I would propose would be an abandonment of the "one nation" indoctrination that has been going on since the end of the Civil War. We are not a single sovereign nation. A single sovereign is what the revolt of 1776 was all about, what was abolished and replaced with a system intended to prevent a single sovereign form of governance. That system was rejected because it always ends in despotism and tyranny. If you don't think $14 Trillion worth of public debt is despotic, I don't know what you would find despotic in any instance.

Despotism is the result of autocratic rule. Autocracy is the possession of unlimited power. The current interpretation of the reach of the national Congress, Executive and Judiciary is just that - unlimited. Only in a rejection of that very idea by the citizens of the 50 independent and sovereign states that have voluntarily joined the compact is the inevitable failure of this empire possible.

17 Apr 2011 17:37 #64 by major bean
I agree with that but do not think that it will happen.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds