The Assault on American Identity and Cohesion

18 Apr 2011 11:25 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/21686.html#more-21686

"Reading Sgt Mom’s new historical novel inspired me to research some additional sources on that era of history. At the library, I picked up A Line in the Sand: The Alamo in Blood and Memory, by Randy Roberts and James Olson. The first half of the book is devoted to the actual historical events, the second half to the differing ways these events have been portrayed in legend and in formal history over the century and a half that has passed since they occurred."...........................................................

"It is true that American history, as taught many decades ago, did tend excessively toward uncritical hero-worship. But it is equally true that much teaching of that history today tends toward unreflective demonization. Politically-minded intellectuals often like to talk about the virtues of “nuance” and their superior understanding thereof, but nuance seems to quickly go by the wayside when there is an opportunity to portray the U.S., its civil society, and its people in a bad light: all those shades of gray turn into black and white pretty rapidly. And the obsessive focus on group identities, as reflected in the views of the grad students at the Alamo commemoration, is particularly destructive."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Apr 2011 17:05 #2 by Nmysys
Interesting perspective. Especially the " It's my Alamo Too!"

18 Apr 2011 17:11 #3 by Wicked
Sadly, a lack of critical thinking has pervaded our entire society. It's not just the domain of the left, but the right too. Too many people memorize facts without thinking about the implications behind actions, why decisions were made or not made, how it affected other cultures in that time, etc.

We'll hold this line until Hell freezes over --Then we'll hold it on ice skates.-Anonymous picket sign

Couldn’t, wouldn’t, mustn’t, shouldn’t – these are the laments of the spineless. –Bette Davis

Feminist. We Just Call Out Bulls**t Where We See It.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds