Petition to Redistribute GPA Scores

22 Apr 2011 17:43 #1 by Nmysys
Many students believe that it is moral to confiscate money from hard-working Americans and entrepreneurs and give it to those who didn't earn it, yet don't s...

[youtube:186opyeo]
[/youtube:186opyeo]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Apr 2011 18:51 #2 by pineinthegrass
Yeah, Hannity does that bit all the time.

You can word it as you did, asking if it's "moral to confiscate money from hard-working Americans and entrepreneurs and give it to those who didn't earn it". Or you can ask if it's OK to ask the wealthy to contribute more in taxes than the lower earners.

I think most Americans would agree with the way I worded it. The big debate, though, is just how much more should the wealthy pay.

22 Apr 2011 18:58 #3 by Rick
The question is, will people continue to produce and hire as much when they start to pay more in taxes than they are "allowed" to keep?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

22 Apr 2011 19:03 #4 by daisypusher
It all comes down to whether people believe others are inherently evil or good. Liberals believe people are evil and government must take money from them to help others and other people believe that people will help others without government forcing them to do it. I would prefer to help the causes I believe in, not what the money behind the lobbyists support.

22 Apr 2011 19:11 #5 by pineinthegrass
Maybe we are looking at the question differently?

I'm thinking in terms of income taxes. I'm assuming must of us believe the federal income tax is a necessary "evil"? Well, we could talk about a VAT, but that's a different subject. I just assume we agree the federal government needs to take in some income.

Even if you had a flat tax, the rich would pay more since they make more. If you think that's unfair, what's the alternative? Should everyone pay the exact same amount to support the federal government? Good luck with that.

22 Apr 2011 20:37 #6 by kresspin
Saying "liberals believe" such and such when you are a conservative is like a Catholic saying "Mormons believe" such and such.

I'd rather hear what YOU believe than you telling me what I believe.

That also goes for attack ads. Instead of telling me why candidate so-and-so is such a bad choice, tell me why your candidate is a better choice.

22 Apr 2011 20:47 #7 by daisypusher
Then why do liberals indicate others are selfish if they want to keep their earning instead of having the government take it? The only way the person can be selfish in this situation is if they did not help others with the money they retained. Ergo, liberals must believe others to be selfish/evil.

22 Apr 2011 20:58 #8 by kresspin
I can't speak for what someone else said. Who said this?

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds