Drowned while camping..

13 Jun 2010 07:20 #1 by Wayne Harrison
Can you imagine the horror of being in a sleeping bag, inside a zipped up tent and trying to get out when a wall of flood water hits it and carries it downstream?

The search for nearly two dozen people who disappeared after flash floods swept through a popular campground went from desperate to grim on Saturday, after teams that scoured miles of river and rugged wilderness found just two bodies. 18 are confirmed dead.

[clipsynd:lfr4ghhi] www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/1512589?wpid=8958 [/clipsynd:lfr4ghhi]

Story:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD9GACVC00

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jun 2010 07:46 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Drowned while camping..
Sort of like the Big Thompson flood. I used to think of that when we were camping. I like being on a hill.

13 Jun 2010 08:17 #3 by Sunshine Girl
I've NEVER thought of that before. That's so sad for those people. :Crying: :heart: I will keep that in mind on our next camping trip now for sure.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

13 Jun 2010 08:29 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I always keep a large knife in the tent when I'm camping in order to cut my way out if I have to. It's good for a quick exit. I learned about this while camping in the backcountry at Yellowstone. If a bear is trying to get into the tent on one end, you cut your way out of the other end while the bear is occupied with the tent.

14 Jun 2010 11:15 #5 by Blue Columbine
all I know, I'm brought to tears reading about the individuals lost in this tragedy. NPR talked about two women who both lost their husbands and several children to this flood. I can't wrap my brain around the loss they must feel. so sad

14 Jun 2010 11:52 #6 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Drowned while camping..
I heard the survival story about the family that spent standing in the bed of a pickup wedged between trees as the water flowed over the truck waiting for the waters to recede. what a long night that must have been.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Jun 2010 13:57 #7 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Drowned while camping..
This is just such a terrible story. Those poor people.I am just incredibly sad for everyone out there.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds