Haley Barbour decides not to run in 2012

25 Apr 2011 14:17 #1 by LadyJazzer
"Bomp, bomp, bomp...Another one bites the dust..."

Haley Barbour decides not to run in 2012

Mississippi governor says he couldn't guarantee his supporters the "absolute fire in the belly" needed for a presidential bid.

Translation: All that white-racist stuff couldn't be covered up sufficiently to escape notice....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2011 14:19 #2 by JMC
Good decision, he could not win.

25 Apr 2011 14:21 #3 by RenegadeCJ
I think it is a good decision too. As of yet, I'm not thrilled about anyone, because we have an inept democrat president now, I don't want an inept republican president just because they are a republican. I want a good president. No current reps or the current dem qualify.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

25 Apr 2011 14:23 #4 by FredHayek
Guess all those tobacco companies can't give him the hundreds of millions he will need to run.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Apr 2011 15:03 #5 by LadyJazzer

Yet there was another certainty for Barbour: His path to the presidency would have been a difficult one.

Part of it was lack of name ID, especially outside the Washington Beltway. In the most recent NBC/WSJ poll, only 1% of national GOP primary voters said Barbour was their top choice for president in a potential field of nine Republican candidates.

In a smaller five-candidate field, Barbour's support ticked up to just 3%.

Another part was geography. Being the governor of Mississippi -- a solid Republican state in presidential elections -- most likely wouldn't have benefited a Barbour-led ticket in a general election.

And a final part was resume. In that same NBC/WSJ poll, being a former lobbyist -- as Barbour was before becoming governor -- was viewed as the worst candidate attribute, worse than having multiple marriages, being a FOX News commentator, or being a leader of the Tea Party movement.

rofllol :lol:

25 Apr 2011 15:18 #6 by FredHayek
Hopefully Gingrich joins him soon in withdrawing too.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Apr 2011 15:20 #7 by LadyJazzer

SS109 wrote: Hopefully Gingrich joins him soon in withdrawing too.

..AND Trump...AND Palin....AND Bachmann....

One can only hope....

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds