Wake Up America! You're Falling Behind

26 Apr 2011 17:43 #21 by deltamrey
BTW... I can chop wood, plow snow and dig dirt.....really well. AND have four engineering degrees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Apr 2011 17:58 #22 by PrintSmith
I'm sure you could obtain the degree in a field in which you had no interest other than financial reward if that is the path you choose to take, but not everyone's brain is wired for computer science work and not everyone finds fulfillment in monetary rewards. There is, after all, more to life than money, isn't there?

What is missing from the society today is in large part simply the competitive desire to be the very best at whatever it is that you are doing regardless of whether that something is designing the next SmartPhone, laying a perfect course of bricks or even having the cleanest commode in the county. We used to foster that in our children. Now, we don't keep score when they are young, we give them all ribbons or trophies for participating whether they are the most or the least successful. When I was a wee lad in elementary school, we had competitions on a continual basis. Some of the competitions were intellectual, such as spelling bees or flash card competitions, others were of a physical nature, such as climbing ropes, races, team sports; but competition was instilled in each and every child. You were taught to compete, encouraged to compete, expected to compete - individually as well as in a group. Your were taught that your best was only good enough sometimes. Heck, we don't even let our military win these days. Why then is it surprising to anyone that winning has become less important when we are supposed to be living in an age when elevating one nation above all others is seen as something to be avoided rather than pursued vigorously. We can only be the best when being the best is at the heart of our efforts. That's what we have lost as a society. We expect that we will be the best regardless of the effort we expend - we are entitled to that status, it is something we no longer need to earn, it is ours by birthright alone. The divine right of kings in ages past has nothing on the divine right of the US citizen these days.

That's why we are falling behind.

26 Apr 2011 19:01 #23 by ScienceChic
PS - while it may certainly be more prevalent that competition is less emphasized these days (which I do not agree with BTW), it is not gone to the extent that some may think (winning was everything when I was growing up too). While the officials didn't keep score during my son's pee-wee football games, the kids and parents certainly did. At my son's school they have a field day twice a year, and they gave ribbons for 1st-5th place this year unlike the generic winner ribbons that they gave last year that parents complained about. At Taekwondo, the 3-5 year olds get feel-good all-tie-for-1st-place trophies, but the 6-18 year olds and adult white to black belts have to do their best to earn the 1st place trophy (and at the last tournament, they even gave out swords to the best 5 participants across the board!). Every one of my friends has their kids enrolled in at least one activity or sport that requires hard work, dedication, and reward/failure. And all of the kids I know prefer to be acknowledged for their efforts with a "win" - that desire is hard-wired in no matter how hard the PC overboard crowd tries to deny it.

We are falling behind because we have become complacent of our superiority in the world, or that we are entitled, as you put it. But that is not an attitude inherent in the kids, it has been taught by the parents, and by society. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I see that attitude changing.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds